With the increasing frequency of payer audits, it's just a matter of time before you receive an audit request from federal or commercial payers. Prepare now to ensure your records are in the best shape possible by having the Academy's coding experts conduct a thorough audit of your chart documentation.
This is a proactive preventative audit. Chart notes that have failed an audit or are currently under review are not a component of this Academy/AAOE service.
Select 10 separate patient encounters to be reviewed. Cost is $60 for each chart note (for a total of $600).
1. Complete the online form.
2. Within five (5) business days, you will be contacted by Academy staff to discuss contract terms and subsequently a contract will be issued.
3. Select ten (10) separate chart notes (patient encounters) to be reviewed.
4. Completely de-identify all records to ensure conformance to HIPAA standards.
5. If paper records, provide a signature log with the typed name, signature, initials and title in the office to include all physicians and staff who document in the medical record.
6. Twenty-one (21) business days from receipt of your completely de-identified records, you will be contacted to set-up a one hour appointment to review audit outcome and receive the summary evaluation identifying areas of vulnerability.
Options for submitting records after your contract is signed:
1. Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Mail, FedEx, UPS to:
All information provided by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, its employees, agents, or representatives who participate in the Academy’s coding service is based on information deemed to be as current and reliable as reasonably possible. The Academy does not provide legal or accounting services or advice, and you should seek legal and/or accounting advice if appropriate to your situation. Coding is a complicated process involving continually changing rules and the application of judgment to factual situations. The Academy does not guarantee or warrant that either public or private payers will agree with the Academy’s information or recommendations. The Academy shall not be liable to you or any other party to any extent whatsoever for errors in, or omissions from any such information provided by the Academy, its employees, agents or representatives. The Academy’s sole liability for any claim connected to its provision of coding information or services shall be limited to the amount paid by you to the Academy for the information or coding service.