Automatic E-Rx Exemptions
An automatic exemption to E-Prescribing is granted to physicians who qualify for any of the following:
- An eligible professional who is not a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant as of June 30 of the reporting year;
- An eligible physician for whom office visits and other services listed in the CMS e-Prescribing measure specifications represent less than 10 percent of their allowed Medicare charges over the reporting period; or
- An eligible physician who has less than 100 claims for patient services containing visit and service codes that fall within the e-Prescribing measure specifications for dates of service during the six month reporting period.
- New: Achieved meaningful use sometime between Jan. 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013.
- New: Registered for the EHR Incentive program and adopted EHR by Jan. 31, 2013.
Requesting an E-Rx Exemption
NOTE: The opportunity to request an exemption from the 2014 e-prescribing penalty expired June 30, 2013.