Call to Action: Contact Congress to Insist on SGR Repeal
The Academy, along with other physician organizations, is amplifying lobbying efforts to drive Congress into action on Medicare physician pay reforms. The organizations, which include the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons, are pressing Congress to pass pending legislation that would stop the scheduled 24 percent cut in physician pay on March 31, caused by the obsolete sustainable growth rate formula. Ophthalmic subspecialty societies including the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the American Society of Retina Specialists have also announced their support for this effort. We are all asking our members to join a nationwide campaign to lobby Congress to make repeal of the SGR formula a top priority. Members must get involved today to ensure lawmakers get the message.
Learn what the bills do and why the Academy supports them.
What you can do
- Write to your representative and senators using Academy toolsto urge them to cosponsor and pass the SGR Repeal and Medicare Provider Payment Modernization Act (H.R. 4015/S. 2000). The legislation will stop the cut and provide stability to physician practices.
- Call your members of Congress.Lawmakers can be reached using the AMA's toll-free congressional hotline at 800.833.6354. Tell lawmakers:
- The SGR formula is widely acknowledged to be a policy failure.
- Repealing the SGR formula is the fiscally responsible choice.
- It is time to establish new payment methods that will support the health care delivery systems that Medicare patients and American taxpayers deserve.
- Congress must seize this opportunity and act before March 31 to stop the SGR cut.
- It is time to cosponsor and pass H.R. 4015/ S. 2000.