AAO 2016, in conjunction with Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO), will take place in McCormick Place, Chicago.
Chicago is known for its cutting-edge theater, breathtaking architecture, world-renowned museums and inventive chefs. Take in the 26 miles of lakefront along beautiful Lake Michigan, stroll through awe-inspiring Millennium Park or shop the latest fashions on the Magnificent Mile. There is always something new to see, hear and experience in Chicago.
Learn more about Chicago including:
- Theater and performing arts
Check out daytime and evening tours of architecture, historic bars, jazz and blues as well as Chicago neighborhoods. Both walking tours and bus tours are available through the Academy's partner, Chicago Detours. Several select tours are exclusive to AAO 2016 attendees and guests. Find more information on the Tour Program web page.
Purchase tickets in advance at the Chicago Detours AAO 2016 website.
Onsite, stop by the Chicago Detours Tour Sales counter, South, Level 2.5 (next to the Hotel Assistance, Restaurant Reservations and New Orleans 2017 counters) to learn about the tours offered, meet the tours guides and purchase tickets.
Try Something New
Open House Chicago
The Chicago Architecture Foundation’s sixth-annual Open House Chicago is October 15-16, 2016. This is a free public festival that offers behind-the-scenes access to 200 buildings across Chicago. Find more information about Open House Chicago.
View a list of the winners of 2016 Michelin Stars or search for top restaurants with Zagat.
Chicago is well represented in the list of 2016 James Beard Foundation Restaurant and Chef Awards which honors the country's top culinary talent. Try these hot spots:
- Alinea (1723 N. Halsted), Winner Outstanding Restaurant
- Grace (652 W. Randolph St.), Winner Best Chef
- Boka (1729 N. Halsted), Finalist Outstanding Pastry Chef and Finalist Best Chef categories
- Fat Rice (2957 W. Diversey Ave.), Finalist Best Chef
- Nico Osteria (1015 N. Rush St), Finalist Best Chef
- Sepia (123 N Jefferson St), Finalist Best Chef
- Next (953 W. Fulton Market), Finalist Rising Star Chef of the Year
- North Pond (2610 N. Cannon Dr.), Finalist Outstanding Service
When you are ready, make a reservation with Open Table.
October in Chicago is mild with an average high temperature of 64°F (18°C) and an average low of 46°F (8°C).
Chicago is in the Central Time Zone. In October, the Central Time Zone is -5h UTC/GMT.