How Should You Take Steroid Tablets?
It is important to follow your ophthalmologist’sinstructions concerning how and when to take steroids. The following are several important tips to follow:
- Take your tablets with a meal to avoid stomach irritation.
- Limit weight gain and watch your salt intake.
- Exercise regularly to maintain muscle strength.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Avoid vaccination or immunization, unless your doctor tells you it is OK.
Do not stop the medication suddenly. This may result in severe side effects. When steroids are discontinued, your dosage should be slowly reduced. You may still notice minor effects such as fever, diarrhea, lightheadedness, tiredness, lack of appetite and joint aches.
If you are taking steroids for non-eye-related conditions, you could develop serious eye disorders, including glaucoma and cataracts. Make sure you tell your doctor if you experience vision problems, eye pain, redness or tearing while using steroids.