The International Blindness Prevention Award, established in 1992, honors individuals who have made significant contributions to the prevention of blindness or restoration of sight worldwide. The award is presented at the Academy's Annual Meeting each fall.
- Have a continued involvement in international blindness prevention.
- Have an impact on a significant number of people.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the prevention of blindness.
- Inspire others to save sight.
- Have made an impact globally on systems to reduce blindness.
Nominations can be submitted online before 3 March 2014.
International Blindness Prevention Award Recipients
- 2013 - Prof. Mohammad Daud Khan (Pakistan)
- 2012 - Marilyn T. Miller, MD (United States)
- 2011 - Clare E. Gilbert, MB, ChB, FRCOphth, MD, MSc
- 2010 - Ahmed M. Trabelsi, MD (Tunisia)
- 2009 - Louis D. Pizzarello, MD (United States)
- 2008 - Susan Lewallen, MD (Tanzania) and
Paul Courtright, DrPH (Tanzania)
- 2007 - Bruce E. Spivey, MD (United States) and
Gottfried O.H. Naumann, MD (Germany)
- 2006 - Gullapalli N. Rao, MD (India)
- 2005 - Allen Foster, MD (United Kingdom)
- 2004 - Hannah B. Faal, MD (The Gambia)
- 2003 - Frank Billson, MD (Australia)
- 2002 - Akef El Maghraby, MD (Saudi Arabia)
- 2001 - Hugh R. Taylor, MD (Australia)
- 2000 - Ramachandra Pararajasegaram, MD (Switzerland)
- 1999 - Francisco Contreras, MD (Peru)
- 1998 - Al Sommer, MD (United States)
- 1997 - Kazuichi Konyama, MD (Japan)
- 1996 - Bjorn Thylefors, MD (Switzerland)
- 1995 - Moses Chirambo, MD (Malawi)
- 1994 - Barrie R. Jones, MD (United Kingdom)
- 1993 - Norval E. Christy, MD (United States)
- 1992 - Govindappa Venkataswamy, MD (India)