The International Blindness Prevention Award, established in 1992, honors an individual who has made significant contributions to reducing blindness and/or restoring sight worldwide. The recipient:
- Has a continued involvement in international blindness prevention.
- Has an impact on a significant number of people.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to the prevention of blindness.
- Inspires others to save sight.
- Has made an impact globally on systems to reduce blindness.
The presentation of the International Blindness Prevention Award takes place during the Opening Ceremony of the Annual Meeting.
Submit nominations for the International Blindness Prevention Award by 30 January 2015.
International Blindness Prevention Award Recipients
- 2014 - Rubens Belfort Jr, MD (Brazil)
- 2013 - Mohammad Daud Khan, MD (Pakistan)
- 2012 - Marilyn T. Miller, MD (United States)
- 2011 - Clare E. Gilbert, MB, ChB, FRCOphth, MD, MSc
- 2010 - Ahmed M. Trabelsi, MD (Tunisia)
- 2009 - Louis D. Pizzarello, MD (United States)
- 2008 - Susan Lewallen, MD (Tanzania) and
Paul Courtright, DrPH (Tanzania)
- 2007 - Bruce E. Spivey, MD (United States) and
Gottfried O.H. Naumann, MD (Germany)
- 2006 - Gullapalli N. Rao, MD (India)
- 2005 - Allen Foster, MD (United Kingdom)
- 2004 - Hannah B. Faal, MD (The Gambia)
- 2003 - Frank Billson, MD (Australia)
- 2002 - Akef El Maghraby, MD (Saudi Arabia)
- 2001 - Hugh R. Taylor, MD (Australia)
- 2000 - Ramachandra Pararajasegaram, MD (Switzerland)
- 1999 - Francisco Contreras, MD (Peru)
- 1998 - Al Sommer, MD (United States)
- 1997 - Kazuichi Konyama, MD (Japan)
- 1996 - Bjorn Thylefors, MD (Switzerland)
- 1995 - Moses Chirambo, MD (Malawi)
- 1994 - Barrie R. Jones, MD (United Kingdom)
- 1993 - Norval E. Christy, MD (United States)
- 1992 - Govindappa Venkataswamy, MD (India)