San Francisco – The International Society of Refractive Surgery of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (ISRS/AAO) will honor nine ophthalmologists at this year’s ISRS/AAO 2009 Gala Dinner held on 23 October in San Francisco in conjunction with the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Joint Meeting. The awardees are being recognized for their special contributions to the society, as well as their dedication to ophthalmology.
The 2009 recipients and awards are as follows:
- Alaa M. El Danasoury MD (Saudi Arabia) - Kritzinger Memorial Award
- Canan Asil Utine MD MsC (Turkey) - 18th Annual Richard C. Troutman MD DSC (HON) $5,000 Prize
- Dimitri T. Azar MD (USA) - Lans Distinguished Award
- Donald Tan MD FRCS FRCOphth (Singapore) - Casebeer Award
- George O. Waring III FRCS (USA) - Founders’ Award
- Guy M. Kezirian MD (USA) - Presidential Award
- John Marshall PhD (England) - Lifetime Achievement Award
- Jorge L. Alio MD (Spain) - 2009 Barraquer Award
- Steven E. Wilson MD (USA) - Presidential Award
Descriptions of the awards and recipient bios will be available on the ISRS/AAO Web site. The ISRS/AAO 2009 Gala Dinner is an annual celebration of refractive, cornea, cataract and lens-based surgery for leaders in the field. This year the dinner will be held in the famous Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel San Francisco, where Tony Bennett first sang “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.” Refractive surgeons worldwide are invited to attend. Learn more at www.isrs.org.
About the International Society of Refractive Surgery of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
The International Society of Refractive Surgery of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (ISRS/AAO) is the leading organization for refractive surgeons. ISRS/AAO keeps you up-to-date on the latest clinical and research developments in refractive, cornea, cataract and lens-based surgery. Members are connected to the world’s leading refractive surgeons from over 80 countries through its innovative educational programs, clinical journal, monthly newsletter and meetings around the world. To learn more, visit www.isrs.org.
About the American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Academy of Ophthalmology is the world's largest association of eye physicians and surgeons—Eye M.D.s—with more than 27,000 members worldwide. Eye health care is provided by the three "O's” – opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologists. It is the ophthalmologist, or Eye M.D., who can treat it all: eye diseases and injuries, and perform eye surgery. To find an Eye M.D. in your area, visit the Academy's Web site at www.aao.org.