SAN FRANCISCO—The Academy and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) are bringing their members a new way to report on ophthalmology quality measures in Medicare’s Physician Quality Reporting Initiative (PQRI). The Ophthalmic Patient Outcomes Database, from Outcome™, allows ophthalmologists to collect and submit data through the CMS-qualified Outcome™ PQRI Registry.
Beginning at the end of March, this system will allow ophthalmologists to efficiently report PQRI outcomes data to CMS so they can more easily qualify for the incentive payment.
“Ophthalmologists have had one of the highest participation and success rates, yet only about 70 percent of those participating in PQRI may be achieving the 2 percent Medicare bonus,” said David W. Parke II, MD, executive vice president and CEO of the Academy. “This new resource makes the job of qualifying easier.”
The Web-based electronic database:
- Gives physicians more control over what is sent to CMS by removing the middleman (regional carriers) from the process;
- Provides real-time, easy-to-read Provider Status Reports to let physicians see the data they have entered;
- Streamlines the office process by moving the task of reporting from many individuals to just one;
- Separates the reporting of PQRI data from the claims-reporting process, allowing for retrospective entry of PQRI data and preventing the PQRI process from delaying physician claims;
- Allows physicians to compare their practice’s outcomes to an aggregate of their peers (all individual results are masked);
- Provides built-in quality checks that reduce errors, improving the likelihood of qualifying for the 2 percent bonus; and
- Reduces data entry with an upload tool and allows for data exchange to and from practice management and electronic health record systems.
Compared to claims-based reporting for PQRI, the database offers a single transmission to CMS at the end of the reporting period, removes the need for additional CPT II and G codes, and allows you to view your data prior to transmission to CMS.
Academy and ASCRS members are eligible for a special discount. If you are interested in signing up, call Outcome™ at 617.715.6898, or e-mail them at email@example.com. More information is on the Academy’s PQRI Web site or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the American Academy of Ophthalmology
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is the world's largest association of eye physicians and surgeons — Eye M.D.s — with more than 29,000 members worldwide. Eye health care is provided by the three “O’s” – opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologists. It is the ophthalmologist, or Eye M.D., who can treat it all: eye diseases and injuries, and perform eye surgery. To find an Eye M.D. in your area, visit the Academy's Web site at www.aao.org.