The American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives® (AAOE) – the practice management division of the American Academy of Ophthalmology – and the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) are partners in offering the Ophthalmic Coding Specialist™ (OCS) Exam.
Take the ONLY exam that tests coding competency in Ophthalmology.
Register to take the test
What Is the OCS Exam?
- The online test consists of 100 multiple choice questions focusing on all aspects of coding for ophthalmology.
- Participants have 10 working days to complete the exam.
- A score of 80 percent must be achieved to pass the exam.
- No continuing education credits are required.
- Participants must retest every three years to assure coding accuracy.
- The OCS Exam has been awarded 4 JCAHPO “Group A”CE credits
Exam pricing (new/renewing/retakes)
$199 — Member: Ophthalmologists, their clinical staff, and JCAHPO certified personnel.
$349 — Nonmember: Consultants, industry representatives and those not working for a clinic.
Top Reasons to Take the Exam
- Reassure yourself that your coding knowledge is up to date; Know that you are keeping up with constantly changing codes.
- Expand your knowledge and enhance your understanding; Test your skills against an exam designed by national experts.
- Receive national professional recognition; Be recognized for your expertise and proficiency. Those who pass the exam are encouraged to add the credentials OCS after their name.
- Enhance the financial health of your practice; Turn clinical services to practice income and stay in compliance.
- Improve your career qualifications; Demonstrate mastery of coding and be more competitive in the job market.
Resources to Help You Prepare
Just like real life coding, the Ophthalmic Coding Specialist Exam is open book. The exam includes questions on all of the content areas presented in the Ophthalmic Coding Series. Each area is represented in the 100 question exam. The following resources will help you prepare: