2019 Election Results:
The Academy conducted its 2019 election from Oct. 14 to Nov. 12. A total of 16,391 ballots were sent to the membership, of which 1,971 were returned for tabulation. The election results for the Board of Trustees officers and the trustee-at-large position are as follows:
- President-Elect: Tamara R. Fountain, MD
- Senior Secretary for Ophthalmic Practice: Ravi D. Goel, MD
- Secretary for Annual Meeting: Maria M. Aaron, MD
- Trustee-at-Large: Mary Louise Z. Collins, MD
- Trustee-at-Large: Ron W. Pelton, MD, PhD
- Council Chair: Sarwat Salim, MD, FACS
- Council Vice Chair: Thomas A. Graul, MD
Code of Ethics Amendments approved:
Rule B3 Research and Innovation: This amendment more specifically defines the ethical responsibilities of ophthalmic researchers in order to advance the best interests of patients.
New Rule B18 Harassment and Discrimination: This new rule addresses harassment and discrimination as inconsistent with the ideals and principles of ethics in ophthalmology.
Read the full amendment language in the Academy's Blog.
- Total ballots distributed: 16,391
- Valid returns for candidates: 1,971
- Percent total returns: 12%
- Voting by mail: 541
- Voting by Internet: 1,430
Results supplied by the Academy’s election agent, Intelliscan, Inc.