Congressional Advocacy Day 2019: By the Numbers
During Congressional Advocacy Day on April 11 in Washington, D.C., the Academy:
Ophthalmologists from Iowa, including Academy past President Keith D. Carter, MD, met with staff representing Rep. David Loebsack. Rep. Loebsack is among this year’s Visionary Award recipients, in part for sponsoring the Access to Frontline Health Care Act, a bill that would create a loan repayment program for specialty providers, including ophthalmologists, willing to practice in underserved areas.
- Hosted 428 ophthalmology participants
- Arranged 273 meetings on Capitol Hill for ophthalmologist advocacy
- Had 48 U.S. states represented
- Supported 170 members in training via the Advocacy Ambassadors program
- Partnered with 37 state societies and 12 subspecialty/specialized interest organizations to fund travel expenses for young ophthalmologist advocates
- Secured 25 co-sponsors for key pieces of legislation that were discussed during congressional meetings
Learn more about Congressional Advocacy Day at aao.org/cad.