The Academy is actively engaged in many issues that are critical to ophthalmology and its patients. Our advocacy spans the federal government, Congress, regulatory agencies and state governing bodies nationwide. We leverage strong member engagement to advocate for our profession and establish ophthalmology as eye care’s leading voice in Washington, D.C., and throughout the U.S.
Our current advocacy slate includes significant work to make an impact in the following areas:
- Securing relief from the negative financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Protecting fair reimbursements for Medicare physicians and facilities
- Evolving Medicare’s physician payment system
- Delivering regulatory relief from onerous prior authorization requirements
- Preventing ill-conceived programs for controlling Part B drug costs
- Addressing drug shortages and maintaining access to compounded treatments
- Keeping Ambulatory Surgical Centers as sustainable venues of care
- Minimizing new administrative burdens in the Contact Lens Rule
- Ensuring high quality care for our nation’s veterans
- Securing funding for federal vision research
The Academy continues to rely on member advocacy to generate traction for our legislative agenda, along with generous investments in the Academy’s OPHTHPAC® fund for federal action.