2020–2021 BCSC Basic and Clinical Science Course™
6 Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
Part II: Pediatric Ophthalmology
Chapter 24: Uveitis in the Pediatric Age Group
As in adults, uveitis in children can be classified according to several factors, including anatomical location, pathology (granulomatous or nongranulomatous), course (acute, chronic, or recurrent), or etiology (traumatic, immunologic, infectious [exogenous or endogenous], masquerade, or idiopathic). This chapter categorizes and describes uveitic entities using the basic anatomical classification of uveitis into 4 groups: anterior, intermediate, posterior, and panuveitis. Anatomical location of the uveitis can be helpful in determining etiology (Table 24-1). Results of a recent claims-based study of uveitis in the United States showed that anterior uveitis accounted for 75% of pediatric uveitis cases, with posterior uveitis and panuveitis accounting for the remaining 25%.
Thorne JE, Suhler E, Skup M, et al. Prevalence of noninfectious uveitis in the United States: a claims-based analysis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016;134(11):1237–1245.
Table 24-1 Differential Diagnosis of Uveitis in Children
Excerpted from BCSC 2020-2021 series: Section 10 - Glaucoma. For more information and to purchase the entire series, please visit https://www.aao.org/bcsc.