Laura A. Lane, MD (1880-1960) was born in Victor, New York. She earned her medical degree at the University of Colorado in 1904. She was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, established in 1913. In 1917, Dr. Lane passed the second examinations ever held by the American Board of Ophthalmology, making her the first female physician to be board certified in the U.S. for any speciality. During her career, Dr. Lane moved frequently. Her main interest was orbital tumors, leading her to study the use of radium at the Wilmer Institute between 1927 and 1929. Later, she moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan and worked as a research assistant. She published her findings in prestigious journals, but her work with radium damaged her hands and forced her early retirement from medicine.