JAN 29, 2015
This experimental study is an excellent exploration into how phacoemulsification efficiency is affected by increasing longitudinal amplitude at different torsional amplitude settings. I believe it will help us be more efficient with our ultrasound use.
Optimal settings are as follows:
- At 100% torsional power, no increase in efficiency is seen with addition of longitudinal power
- At 80% torsional power, addition of at least 20% longitudinal power shows a significant increase in efficiency
- At 60% torsional power, addition of at least 75% longitudinal power shows a significant increase in efficiency
- Addition of longitudinal power beyond the values noted above did not confer significant increases in efficiency
- Chatter was minimal in all experiments conducted, and had no impact on efficiency.