APR 07, 2023
In-Person and Virtual
Education in professional standards for the ethical practice of ophthalmology is one of the primary goals of the Ethics Committee. The Jerome W. Bettman Sr., MD, Ethics Education Lecture Program (the Bettman Ethics Lecture Program) is one way the committee accomplishes that goal. The Ethics Lecture Program is available for teaching institutions as well as state/regional ophthalmology societies.
What to Expect
- NOTE: Regarding in-person vs. virtual lecture presentations, the AAO will follow government regulations, public health mandates, and institutional mandates regarding COVID-19.
- The lectures are comprised of an in-person presentation with time for Q & A, and are designed to encourage practical problem solving and to explore larger ethical concepts. The interactive lectures focus on topics unique to residency education as well as the practicing ophthalmologist. Ethics Committee members and staff present the lecture program, which is easily tailored to the needs of the sponsoring organization. In addition to residents, we encourage opening the lecture to faculty, technicians, and administrative/support staff for a comprehensive look at ethics and professionalism in ophthalmology.
How to Schedule a Lecture
- To schedule a lecture, contact the Academy ethics manager, Mara Pearse Burke, at 319.351.0440 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should include several possible dates for your proposed lecture. Please allow 3 - 6 months lead time for scheduling purposes.
Lecture Calendar and Locations YTD 2022 and Planned for 2023
- AAOE Webinar, How Practice Efficiencies Can Affect Realistic Patient Expectations - October 27, 2022
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Dept of Ophthalmology - February 3, 2023
- Illinois Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons - March 10, 2023
- Loyola University Medical Center, Dept of Ophthalmology - May 24, 2023
- Delaware Academy of Ophthalmology - May 18, 2023
- Univ of Texas Southwestern - December 2, 2023
- Tennessee Academy of Ophthalmology - February 3, 2024
- University of Indiana, Bloomington, Dept of Ophthalmology - June 5, 2024