As a member of the medical profession and the American Academy of Ophthalmology, I affirm my duty, when giving evidence or testifying as an expert witness, to do so solely in accordance with the merits of the case. Furthermore, I declare that I will uphold the following professional principles in providing expert evidence or expert witness testimony.
1. I will always be truthful.
2. I will conduct a thorough, fair, and impartial review of the facts and medical care provided, not excluding any relevant information.
3. I will provide evidence or testify only in matters in which I have relevant clinical experience and knowledge in the areas of medicine that are the subject of the proceeding.
4. I will evaluate the medical care provided in light of generally accepted standards, neither condemning performance that falls within generally accepted practice standards nor endorsing or condoning performance that falls below these standards.
5. I will evaluate the medical care provided in light of the generally accepted standards that prevailed at the time of the occurrence.
6. I will provide evidence or testimony that is complete, objective, scientifically based, and helpful to a just resolution of the proceeding.
7. I will make a clear distinction between a departure from accepted practice standards and an untoward outcome.
8. I will make every effort to determine whether there is a causal relationship between the alleged substandard practice and the medical outcome.
9. I will submit my testimony to peer review, if requested by a professional organization to which I belong.
10. I will not accept compensation that is contingent upon the outcome of the litigation.
Name of Certifying Board ____________________________
Date Certified _______________________ Date Recertified _______________________