Skip to main content
  • Who Should Conduct a Double Vision Eye Exam?


    I need examination for double vision, possibly in one eye. Should I visit an ophthalmologist or optometrist?


    Double vision or diplopia has various causes, some serious and some not. If you have diplopia with just one eye, then it is likely a problem within the eye. If you have diplopia when both eyes are open, then, this could be suggestive of an abnormality of one of the nerves that controls the eye movements. Nerve abnormalities could be from a very serious cause from a brain aneurysm to atherosclerotic disease. My recommendation is to see your ophthalmologist to help determine the cause. Optometrists also play an integral role in eye care and may be a good starting point if an ophthalmologist is not available.