• How can I find an ophthalmologist for my brother with Down syndrome?


    My 35-year-old brother has Down syndrome and does not speak or understand/follow instructions. I’ve tried to find an ophthalmologist for an eye exam without any luck. I’m surprised as there must be many patients like my brother. Are there ophthalmologists who are capable of performing an exam on this type of patient?


    Many ophthalmologists have experience with children and adults with Down syndrome (a genetic disorder causing intellectual impairment). Ask for help in a referral from your brother's medical doctor. Some people with Down syndrome may need to have the exams completed with anesthesia.