Is it safe to treat blepharitis with mercuric oxide ointment?
SEP 07, 2015
I want to know if it is effective and safe to treat blepharitis caused by demodex (tiny parasitic mites that live in hair follicles) with 1% yellow mercuric oxide ointment. Is it toxic to your health?
Research indicates effectiveness of this treatment but there are risks of local irritation, burning, tearing, and even systemic toxicity (irritation or other harmful effects spreading beyond where the ointment was applied). Try lid scrubs and tea tree oil instead.