• Which Type of Ophthalmologist Should I See for Night Blindness?


    I am experiencing night blindness and at times extremely dim vision in the dark. I have recently been told that my vitamin A is in the 20s. I live in Maryland. What kind of ophthalmologist should I see?


    It is probably very unlikely that you have night blindness from vitamin A deficiency. It takes a very low level to produce this, much lower than the 20s. There are some causes of night blindness—some inherited and some acquired—which should receive the attention of an ophthalmologist. A general ophthalmologist is a good entry point, and if confirmed that there is pathology, they might send you to a retinal specialist or a neuro-ophthalmologist.

    Answered By: