• What more can I do to help my chronic dry eyes?


    I have chronic dry eye and have used all kind of over-the-counter drops and prescription drops but nothing seems to help. Is there anything else besides surgery?


    Prescription drops used for chronic dry eyes include cyclosporin (Restasis) and dilute loteprednol (Alrex), If you have not tried these drops, ask your ophthalmologist about them. When over-the-counter tear replacements do not give comfort, your doctor might prescribe hydroxypropyl cellulose inserts (Lacriserts) which are placed behind the lower eyelids once daily; the inserts then slowly melt away and help keep the eyes moist all day. Surgery is seldom done for dry eye unless there is an abnormal position of the eyelids against the eye. Small plugs can be placed in the tiny openings on the edge of the eyelid through which tears drain away, or those openings can be closed by cautery in a simple office procedure.