• Optometrists and Macular Degeneration


    Can an optometrist check your eyes for signs of macular degeneration?


    A complete eye examination, whether performed by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist, should include an evaluation of the retina where signs of macular degeneration could be noted. However, only an ophthalmologist may be qualified to offer the full spectrum of evaluation and care for macular degeneration including recommendations for follow-up examinations, vitamin supplementation, laser or medical therapy including injections into the eye, and visual rehabilitation services.

    Answered By: