• Medical Term for Off-Center Pupils


    I received a traumatic brain injury resulting in my pupils shifting off center. Is there a medical term for this?


    The medical term for a de-centered pupil is "corectopia" and it can be caused by a number of things. Usually it happens from trauma directly to an eye or it can be congenital (from birth). It is not uncommon for corectopia to occur as a result of severe head injury that causes compression of the brain. This is likely to be permanent, but in most cases should not affect the pupil's function. I strongly suggest that you discuss your question with your ophthalmologist.

    Answered By: