What Causes Blepharitis?
Everyone has bacteria on the surface of their skin, but in some people, bacteria thrive in the skin at the base of the eyelashes. Large amounts of bacteria around the eyelashes can cause dandruff-like scales and particles to form along the lashes and eyelid margins.
Other diseases and conditions that can cause blepharitis may include:
- Malfunctioning of the meibomian eyelid oil glands
- Seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff of the scalp and eyebrows)
- Acne rosacea (a skin condition that causes redness of the face)
- Eyelash mites (tiny organisms in the eyelash follicles)
- Allergic reactions to cosmetics or medications