DEC 21, 2012
The FDA warned five eye care providers to discontinue misleading advertising and promotion of refractive laser surgery, saying their advertisements and promotional materials do not offer consumers adequate information about the associated risks.
The five warned providers are :
- The 20/20 Institute Indianapolis LASIK, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Scott Hyver Visioncare Inc., of Daly City, Calif.
- Rand Eye Institute, of Deerfield Beach, Fla.
- Eye Center of Texas, of Bellaire, Texas
- Woolfson Eye Institute, of Atlanta
"Advertising by many eye care professionals who perform laser vision correction surgery provides patients with the risk information that they need to make informed decisions," said Steve Silverman, compliance director at FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health. "But providers whose advertising does not provide adequate risk information are finding out today that the FDA is serious about consumer protection."