Access your persona within the Academy Forum section by clicking the "Persona" link in the main navigation bar. Upload a picture and add a description to represent yourself to other members. Your picture will display alongside most of the content that you post. In your persona, you also can provide a short bio or description of yourself and your interests, start your own blog and connect with friends and colleagues.
As an Academy member you don’t need to create your persona – it’s automatically created the first time you enter the forums or view comments elsewhere on the site. However, the persona will only contain your name until you add more about yourself. It’s up to you to add details like a picture, brief bio and so on.
If you have problems or questions, don’t hesitate to email email@example.com for more help.
Within your persona, you can:
- Update your avatar (the small image that appears with community activity) and add other persona information (age, gender, location, description, etc.)
- Post a status update
- See your own activity and the activity of your "friends" within the community
- Manage your notification settings, automatic signature and other preferences.
- Communicate with other members
- Create connections between your AAO.org community account and your Facebook and Twitter accounts
If you view another member’s persona (for example, by clicking someone’s name next to a comment), you can:
- View the member’s persona and see their recent community activity
- Request to add the colleague as a “friend” within the AAO community
- Recommend a colleague
- Leave a colleague a public message (these are not emails; the messages stay within the community, but they are visible to everyone)
- Send a colleague a private message (sent by email)
What it shows
|Name, subspecialty, office location (email is visible only to other members)
||Name as shown in member profile. Optional: picture, bio, location (e.g., city)
Who can see it
|Colleagues, Find an Eye M.D. users
|Map display of your office, searchable by name, location, or subspecialty
||Photo-sharing, recent activity (e.g., comments you’ve made and posts by your friends), messages others have left for you
Other than your name, information from your Academy member profile is not included in your persona. This allows you full control of your community presence without affecting your Member Directory or Find an Eye M.D. listing.
- Go to your persona by clicking the "Persona" link when you are in the forum area. Then click Settings from the links to the right of your name.
- Provide as much or as little information as you like. Remember that the more information you fill in, the easier it may be for your colleagues to find you in the Academy Forum.
Connecting with Friends and Colleagues
You can link your persona to those of your friends and colleagues. Friends are listed on your persona page so you can easily find out where they have been active on the website — what they’ve been commenting on, recommending and discussing. Note: Not all Academy members will have a persona. Personas are automatically created when an Academy member views or posts a comment anywhere on the Academy website, or upon entering the Academy Forum for the first time. If you cannot find the person you are looking for that member may not have been active on the Academy site recently. Send him or her a personal message with an invitation to participate.
- The friends tab in your persona lists your current friends, any pending friend requests and allows you to send messages to your contacts.
- Click a member's name from a comment or discussion thread to get to their persona page. Then click the “Add as a friend” link in the left-hand column. A message will be sent to the member, asking him or her to approve or reject your request.
- After the request is approved, you and your colleagues will appear on each other’s friends list.
Public messages are notes that other members leave for you on your persona. They are displayed in the Public Messages tab of your page. Public messages are visible to any member who views your profile.
Private messages are only visible to the recipient, and are stored with the recipient's persona. The recipient will be notified by email when they receive a private message through the Academy Forum.
Synching Your Persona with Other Sites
If you have or create a Facebook or Twitter account you can share information between your persona and either of those accounts through the Facebook/Twitter tab on your persona. When connecting your persona to Facebook, note that only Academy members have access to the Academy Forum. Facebook friends who are not Academy members will not be able to interact with you in the Academy Forum.