Connect with the American Academy of Ophthalmology while in Lima for the XXXIII Pan-American Congress, Wednesday, 9 August to Saturday, 12 August.
Find the Latest Information at AAO & ISRS Symposia
AAO Symposium: Safety in the Clinic and Operating Room: Improving Patient Care and Staying Out of Trouble
Friday, Aug. 11, 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. | Huallamarca (4th floor/Piso 4)
Moderators: Richard L. Abbott, MD; Neeru Gupta, MD PhD MBA FRCSC; Ana Luisa Hofling-Lima, MD
This symposium will review practical initiatives to help reduce medical error in both the clinical and surgical setting, as well as discuss specific examples to both educate and avoid medical errors in our practices.
- Richard L. Abbott, MD - Introduction to Global Patient Safety Issue
- Richard L. Abbott, MD - AAO and WHO Patient Safety Initiatives
- Neeru Gupta, MD PhD MBA FRCSC - ICO Patient Safety Initiatives
- Jorge E. Valdez Garcia, MD - Patient Safety Initiatives in Mexico
- Jeff H. Pettey, MD - Incorporating Patient Safety Principles into Resident Education
- Claudio Luiz Lottenberg, MD - Patient Safety Initiatives in Brazil
- Philip L. Custer, MD - Practical Examples of How to Avoid Medical Errors in your Practice
- Richard L. Abbott, MD - Summary and Conclusion
ISRS Symposium: Refractive Surgery State of the Art
Thursday, August 10, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. | Armatambo & Maranga (4th floor/Piso 4)
Moderators: Cecilia Contreras, MD; Luis Izquierdo Villavicencio Jr., MD MMed PhD; Miguel C Srur, MD; Dan Zoltan Reinstein, MD
Refractive Surgery provides patients with a reduced need for spectacles and contact lenses. Advances in the field allows for excellent visual outcomes with a low risk for complications/visual side effects. New technologies to address presbyopia will further enable surgeons to deliver visual outcomes that surpass what has been previously available. Identification of the best candidates for various technologies will further allow patients to achieve the best visual outcomes.
- Cesar C Carriazo E., MD - Myths in refractive surgery and phaco
- Luis José Escaf Jaraba, MD - Patient selection for optimizing Phacorefractive surgery outcomes
- Walton Nosé, MD - Surgery for presbyopia: inlays, expansion bands, IOLs, what’s next?
- Bruna V Ventura, MD - Optimizing toric IOL outcomes: Putting the puzzle together
- Dan Zoltan Reinstein, MD - Retreatment strategies after SMILE
- José Miguel Varas Prieto Jr., MD - SMILE: Spheric lenticules vs Aspheric ablation
- Maria Alejandra Henríquez Bertaggia, MD - Phakic IOLs: Patient selection and complications management
- Marcony R. Santhiago, MD PhD - Case Presentation (Challenging cases in corneal refractive surgery)
- Gustavo Enrique Tamayo Fernández, MD - Case Presentation (Challenging cases in corneal refractive surgery)
- Roger H. Zaldívar, MD - Case Presentation (Challenging cases in corneal refractive surgery)
- Mauricio Pérez Velásquez, MD - Case Presentation (Challenging cases in corneal refractive surgery)
- Luis Izquierdo Villavicencio Jr., MD MMed PhD - Case Presentation (Challenging cases in corneal refractive surgery)
- Armando Stefano Crema, MD - Case Presentation (Challenging cases in corneal refractive surgery)
Browse the PAAO 2017 program for more information.
Activities at The Academy Booth (#A09-10)
Become a Member or Renew Your Academy or ISRS Membership
Academy benefits include:
- No registration fee to the annual meeting
- Subscriptions to Ophthalmology, the Academy's scientific journal, and EyeNet, the Academy's monthly magazine
- Access to the Ophthalmic News & Education (ONE®) Network, including full-text access to 11 journals
- Discounts on products, programs, materials and services
- Find an Eye M.D., the Academy's online listing for patients and members to locate practicing ophthalmologists
Note: Pay your Academy or ISRS membership application fee in cash or by credit card.
Keep Your Practice Current with Cutting-Edge Products
- Build a solid clinical foundation with advance copies of the new 2017-2018 Basic and Clinical Science Course; Basic Ophthalmology: Essentials for Medical Students, 10th ed.; Basic Principles of Ophthalmic Surgery, 3rd ed. and Basic Techniques of Ophthalmic Surgery, 2nd ed.
- New: Get Ophthalmic Medical Assisting: An Independent Study Course, 6th ed., for high-yield, focused ophthalmic technician training.
- In Spanish: Enhance patients’ understanding with Spanish-language Academy patient education tools such as the Patient Education Video Collections, Waiting Room Video for the Ophthalmic Practice, Vol. 3 and print-on-demand handouts. Save 30% when you buy four or more patient education videos.
Note: You will be able to buy products and pay membership dues with cash or by credit card.