NOV 12, 2012
Annual Meeting 2012
Comprehensive Ophthalmology, Retina/Vitreous
In this interview, Dr. Judy Kim talks with Dr. Roger Goldberg, who was on call at Bascom Palmer Eye Center in 2011 when a series of patients first presented with endopthalmitis following injection of intravitreal bevacizumab. Streptococcus mitis was cultured from the majority of patients and from all unused syringes. As Dr. Goldberg recounts, the likely cause of this outbreak was contamination during syringe preparation at a single compounding pharmacy. While bevacizumab is inherently safe says Dr. Goldberg, the outbreak has since prompted investigation of drugs that pass through compounding and redistribution channels.
Financial Disclosures: Dr. Kim is a paid consultant to Alimera Sciences, Allergan, and Genentech.