Some areas of AAO.org are temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to restore access.

  •   
    AAO 2016
    04:10
    Refractive Mgmt/Intervention

    In this interview from AAO 2016, Dr. Dan Z. Reinstein gives advice for physicians looking to integrate the VisuMax Femtosecond Laser small incision lenticule extraction (SMILE) procedure into their practice following the recent U.S. approval. Dr. Reinstein’s clinic has performed more than 2,500 procedures in the UK, and currently uses SMILE in 75% of myopia cases, relying on LASIK for the remaining 25%. Dr. Reinstein considers the techniques equivalent, though SMILE can be performed on a subset of patients ineligible for LASIK. He recommends starting with the VisuMax standard operating procedure and instruments that have been validated by years of use in global markets.