IRIS1: Endothelial Keratoplasty - Post-operative improvement in best corrected visual acuity to 20/40 or greater (better)
Updated January 2018.
- IRIS Registry QCDR for EHR: groups and individuals
- IRIS Registry QCDR manual data entry: groups and individuals
Measure Type: Outcome
Description: Percentage of endothelial keratoplasty patients with a best corrected visual acuity of 20/40 or greater at 90 days after surgery
To Which Patients Does the Measure Apply?
Denominator: Patients aged 18 years or older who underwent a corneal graft procedure.
There are three criteria for inclusion of a patient into the denominator.
- Patient characteristics: Description located in “Denominator” (see above).
- Diagnosis codes (ICD-10-CM): Codes located in “Diagnosis Codes.”
- Procedure codes (CPT): Codes located in “CPT Codes.”
The quality measure also has exclusions for the denominator
ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes
- Endothelial dystrophy (ICD-10: H18.51, H18.59)
- Bullous keratopathy (ICD-10: H18.11, H18.12, H18.13)
- Idiopathic corneal edema (ICD-10: H18.221, H18.222, H18.223)
- Secondary corneal edema (ICD-10: H18.231, H18.232, H18. 233)
- Endothelial corneal dystrophy (ICD-10: H18.51)
- Other hereditary corneal dystrophies (ICD-10: H18.59)
Corneal graft procedure (CPT: 65756 with modifier RT, LT)
How To Report the Measure
Numerator: Patients with a best corrected visual acuity of 20/40 or greater (better) within 90 days of surgery.
- Acute and subacute iridocyclitis: H20.00, H20.011, H20.012, H20.013, H20.019, H20.021, H20.022, H20.023, H20.029, H20.031, H20.032, H20.033, H20.039, H20.041, H20.042, H20.043, H20.049, H20.051, H20.052, H20.053, H20.059
- Adhesions and disruptions of iris and ciliary body: H21.40, H21.41, H21.42, H21.43, H21.501, H21.502, H21.503, H21.509, H21.511, H21.512, H21.513, H21.519, H21.521, H21.522, H21.523, H21.529, H21.531, H21.532, H21.533, H21.539, H21.541, H21.542, H21.543, H21.549, H21.551, H21.552, H21.553, H21.559, H21.561, H21.562, H21.563, H21.569, H21.81, H21.82, H21.89, H22
- Anterior chamber IOL (identified by mapping IRIS for “AC IOL,” “anterior chamber IOL,” “AC lens” or “anterior chamber lens” and matching laterality)
- Aphakia: H27.00-03 – match laterality with reported CPT laterality
- Blindness and low vision: H54.0X33, H54.0X34, H54.0X35, H54.0X43, H54.0X44, H54.0X45, H54.0X53, H54.0X54, H54.0X55, H54.10, H54.1131, H54.1132, H54.1141, H54.1142, H54.1151, H54.1152, , H54.1213, H54.1214, H54.1215, H54.1223, H54.1224, H54.1225, H54.2X11, H54.2X12,H54.2X21, H54.2X22
- Cataract secondary to ocular disorders: H26.211, H26.212, H26.213, H26.219, H26.221, H26.222, H26.223, H26.229
- Cataract, congenital: Q12.0
- Cataract, mature or hypermature: H25.89
- Cataract, posterior polar: Q12.0
- Cataract, traumatic: H26.101, H26.102, H26.103, H26.109, H26.111, H26.112, H26.113, H26.119, H26.121, H26.122, H26.123, H26.129, H26.131, H26.132, H26.133, H26.139
- Central corneal ulcer: H16.011, H16.012, H16.013, H16.019
- Choroidal hemorrhage and rupture: H31.301, H31.302, H31.303, H31.309, H31.311, H31.312, H31.313, H31.319, H31.321, H31.322, H31.323, H31.329
- Chronic iridocyclitis: A18.54, H20.10, H20.11, H20.12, H20.13, H20.9
- Cystoid macular degeneration: H35.351, H35.352, H35.353, H35.359
- Degeneration of macula and posterior pole: H35.3110, H35.3111, H35.3112, H35.3113, H35.3114, H35.3120, H35.3121, H35.3122, H35.3123, H35.3124, H35.3130, H35.3131, H35.3132, H35.3133, H35.3134, H35.3190, H35.3191, H35.3192, H35.3193, H35.3194, H35.3210, H35.3211, H35.3212, H35.3213, H35.3220, H35.3221, H35.3222, H35.3223, H35.3230, H35.3231, H35.3232, H35.3233, H35.3290, H35.3291, H35.3292, H35.3293
- Degenerative disorders of globe: H44.20, H44.21, H44.22, H44.23, H44.311, H44.312, H44.313, H44.319, H44.321, H44.322, H44.323, H44.329, H44.391, H44.392, H44.393, H44.399
- Diabetic Macular Edema: E08.311, E08.3211, E08.3212, E08.3213, E08.3219, 3311, E08.3312, E08.3313, E08.3319, E08.3411, E08.3412, E08.3413, E08.3419, E08.3511, E08.3512, E08.3513, E08.3519, E09.311, E09.3211, E09.3212, E09.3213, E09.3219, E09.3311, E09.3312, E09.3313, E09.3319, E09.3411, E09.3412, E09.3413, E09.3419, E09.3511, E09.3512, E09.3513, E09.3519, E10.311, E10.3211, E10.3212, E10.3213, E10.3219, E10.3311, E10.3312, E10.3313, E10.3319, E10.3411, E10.3412, E10.3413, E10.3419, E10.3511, E10.3512, E10.3513, E10.3519, E11.311, E11.3211, E11.3212, E11.3213, E11.3219, E11.3311, E11.3312, E11.3313, E11.3319, E11.3411, E11.3412, E11.3413, E11.3419, E11.3511, E11.3512, E11.3513, E11.3519, E13.311, E13.3211, E13.3212, E13.3213, E13.3219, E13.3311, E13.3312, E13.3313, E13.3319, E13.3411, E13.3412, E13.3413, E13.3419, E13.3511, E13.3512, E13.3513, E13.3519
- Diabetic Retinopathy: E08.311, E08.319, E08.3291, E08.3292, E08.3293, E08.3299 , E08.3391, E08.3392, E08.3393, E08.3399, E08.3491, E08.3492, E08.3493, E08.3499, E08.3521, E08.3522, E08.3523, E08.3529, E08.3531, E08.3532, E08.3533, E08.3539, E08.3541, E08.3542, E08.3543, E08.3549, E08.3551, E08.3552, E08.3553, E08.3559, E08.37X1, E08.37X2, E08.37X3, E08.37X9, E09.311, E09.319, E09.3291, E09.3292, E09.3293, E09.3299,E09.3391, E09.3392, E09.3393, E09.3399, E09.3491, E09.3492, E09.3493, E09.3499, E09.3521, E09.3522, E09.3523, E09.3529, E09.3531, E09.3532, E09.3533, E09.3539, E09.3541, E09.3542, E09.3543, E09.3549, E09.3551, E09.3552, E09.3553, E09.3559, E09.3591, E09.3592, E09.3593, E09.3599, E09.35X1, E09.35X2, E09.35X3, E09.35X9, 319, E10.3291, E10.3292, E10.3293, E10.3299, E10.3391, E10.3392, E10.3393, E10.3399, E10.3491, E10.3492, E10.3493, E10.3499, E10.3521, E10.3522, E10.3523, E10.3529, E10.3531, E10.3532, E10.3533, E10.3539, E10.3541, E10.3542, E10.3543, E10.3549, E10.3551, E10.3552, E10.3553, E10.3559, E10.3591, E10.3592, E10.3593, E10.3599, E10.37X1, E10.37X2, E10.37X3, E10.37X9, E11.319, E11.3291, E11.3292, E11.3293, E11.3299, E11.3391, E11.3392, E11.3393, E11.3393, E11.3491, E11.3492, E11.3493, E11.3499, E11.3521, E11.3522, E11.3523, E11.3529, E11.3531, E11.3532, E11.3533, E11.3539, E11.3541, E11.3542, E11.3543, E11.3549, E11.3551, E11.3552, E11.3553, E11.3559, E11.3591, E11.3592, E11.3593, E11.3599, E11.37X1, E11.37X2, E11.37X3, E11.37X9, E13.319, E13.3291, E13,3292, E13.3293, E13.3299, E13.3391, E13.3392, E13.3393, E13.3399, E13.3491, E13.3492, E13.3493, E13.3499, E13.3521, E13.3522, E13.3523, E13.3529, E13.3531, E13.3532, E13.3533, E13.3539, E13.3541, E13.3542, E13.3543, E13.3549, E13.3551, E13.3552, E13.3553, E13.3559, E13.3591, E13.3592, E13.3593, E13.3599, E13.37X1, E13.37X2, E13.37X3, E13.37X9
- Dislocation of lens: H27.10, H27.111, H27.112, H27.113, H27.119, H27.121, H27.122, H27.123, H27.129, H27.131, H27.132, H27.133, H27.139
- Disorders of optic chiasm: H47.41, H47.42, H47.43, H47.49
- Disorders of visual cortex: H47.611, H47.612, H47.619
- Disseminated chorioretinitis and disseminated retinochoroiditis: A18.53, H30.101, H30.102, H30.103, H30.109, H30.111, H30.112, H30.113, H30.119, H30.121, H30.122, H30.123, H30.129, H30.131, H30.132, H30.133, H30.139, H30.141, H30.142, H30.143, H30.149
- Drusen (degenerative) of macula: H35.361, H35.362, H35.363, H35.369
- Hereditary choroidal dystrophies: H31.20, H31.21, H31.22, H31.23, H31.29
- Hereditary retinal dystrophies: H35.50, H35.51, H35.52, H35.53, H35.54, H36
- High hyperopia: H52.00, H52.01, H52.02, H52.03
- Hypotony of eye: H44.40, H44.411, H44.412, H44.413, H44.419, H44.421, H44.422, H44.423, H44.429, H44.431, H44.432, H44.433, H44.439, H44.441, H44.442, H44.443, H44.449
- Injury to optic nerve and pathways: S04.011A, S04.012A, S04.019A, S04.02XA, S04.031A, S04.032A, S04.039A, S04.041A, S04.042A, S04.049A
- Macular cyst, hole or pseudohole: H35.341, H35.342, H35.343, H35.349
- Nystagmus and other irregular eye movements: H55.01
- Open wound of eyeball: S05.10XA, S05.11XA, S05.12XA, S05.20XA, S05.21XA, S05.22XA, S05.30XA, S05.31XA, S05.32XA, S05.50XA, S05.51XA, S05.52XA, S05.60XA, S05.61XA, S05.62XA, S05.70XA, S05.71XA, S05.72XA, S05.8X1A, S05.8X2A, S05.8X9A, S05.90XA, S05.91XA. S05.92X
- Optic atrophy: H47.20, H47.211, H47.212, H47.213, H47.219, H47.22, H47.231, H47.232, H47.233, H47.239, H47.291, H47.292, H47.293, H47.299
- Other endophthalmitis: H16.241, H16.242, H16.243, H16.249, H21.331, H21.332, H21.333, H21.339, H33.121, H33.122, H33.123, H33.129, H44.111, H44.112, H44.113, H44.119, H44.121, H44.122, H44.123, H44.129, H44.131, H44.132, H44.133, H44.139, H44.19
- Other proliferative retinopathy: H35.101, H35.102, 103, H35.109, H35.111, H35.112, H35.113, H35.119, H35.121, H35.122, H35.123, H35.129, H35.131, H35.132, H35.133, H35.139, H35.141, H35.142, H35.143, H35.149, H35.151, H35.152, H35.153, H35.159, H35.161, H35.162, H35.163, H35.169, H35.171, H35.172, H35.173, H35.179
- Pathologic myopia: H44.20, H44.21, H44.22, H44.23, H44.2A1, H44.2A2, H44.2A3, H44.2A9, H44.2B1, H44.2B2, H44.2B3, H44.2B9, H44.2C1, H44.2C2, H44.2C3, H44.2C9, H44.2D1, H44.2D2, H44.2D3, H44.2D9, H44.2E1, H44.2E2, H44.2E3, H44.2E9, H44.30
- Posterior lenticonus: Q12.2, Q12.4, Q12.8
- Prior glaucoma filtering surgery: CPT 66170, 66172, 66179, 66180, 66183, 66184, 66185 – match laterality
- Prior pars plana vitrectomy: CPT 67036, 67039, 67040, 67041, 67042, 67043 (patient with history of this procedure or IRIS mapping to a past surgical history of vitrectomy)
- Prior penetrating keratoplasty: CPT 65730, 65750, 65755 – match laterality)
- Puckering of macula: H35.371, H35.372, H35.373, H35.379,
- Purulent endophthalmitis: H44.001, H44.002, H44.003, H44.009, H44.011, H44.012, H44.013, H44.019, H44.021, H44.022, H44.023, H44.029
- Retinal vascular occlusion: H34.10, H34.11, H34.12, H34.13, H34.231, H34.232, H34.233, H34.239, H34.811, H34.812, H34.813, H34.819, H34.831, H34.832, H34.833, H34.839
- Retrolental fibroplasias: H35.171, H35.172, H35.173, H35.179
- Scleritis and episcleritis: A18.51, H15.021, H15.022, H15.023, H15.029, H15.031, H15.032,
- Toxic maculopathy: H35.381, H35.382, H35.383, H35.389
- Use of systemic sympathetic alpha-1a antagonist medication for treatment of prostatic hypertrophy patient taking tamsulosin hydrochloride: G9503
- Uveitis: H44.111, H44.112, H44.113, H44.119, H44.131, H44.132, H44.133, H44.139
- Vascular disorders of iris and ciliary body: H21.1X1, H21.1X2, H21.1X3, H21.1X9
- No scoring benchmark currently exists for this QCDR measure.
- If 19 or fewer physicians each report the measure or 20 physicians do not report the measure on at least 60 percent of qualifying patients, and a minimum of 20 patients, you will earn 3 out of 10 points toward your total quality score. Choose measures assuming you’ll only earn 3 points per QCDR measure.
- If at least 20 physicians report the measure on at least 60 percent of qualifying patients and at least 20 patients, CMS will develop a scoring benchmark using data collected during the 2018 reporting year.
This measure has been developed by the H. Dunbar Hoskins Jr. MD Center for Quality Eye Care of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. The measure is not a clinical guideline and does not establish a medical standard. It has not been tested in all possible applications.
The measure, while copyrighted, can be reproduced and distributed with appropriate credit, without modification, for noncommercial purposes, e.g., use by health care providers in connection with their practices. The American Academy of Ophthalmology encourages use of the measure by other health care professionals, where applicable.
Commercial use is defined as the sale, license or distribution of the measures for commercial gain, or incorporation of some or all of a measure into a product or service that is sold, licensed or distributed for commercial gain. Commercial uses of the measures require a license agreement between the user and the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Neither the Academy nor its members shall be responsible for any use of the measures.
THE MEASURE AND SPECIFICATIONS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
© 2017 American Academy of Ophthalmology. All rights reserved. Limited proprietary coding from Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) is contained in the measure specifications. Users of this code set should obtain all necessary licenses. The Academy disclaims all liability for use or accuracy of the coding contained in these measure specifications. CPT® contained in the measures specifications is copyright 2004-2017 American Medical Association.