- Members who have retired or are on medical/disability leave may be eligible to change their membership status to inactive.
- Members who are on maternity/paternity leave may request a pro-rated dues waiver equivalent to three months of membership.
- Members who are continuing in a training program may be eligible to change their membership category to in training.
Retirement and Medical Leave/Disability
Members who have fully retired from practice or are not practicing due to medical leave/disability can change their membership status from active to inactive. Members who are semi-retired or have reduced their hours of practice are not eligible to become inactive members. Inactive members receive the following benefits:
- A waiver of annual dues
- Reduced Annual Meeting registration fees
- Reduced subscription rates to the Academy's Ophthalmology journal and EyeNet magazine
- Full member discount for Academy purchases and services and full participation in Academy programs
Send your request for inactive status and include the date you retired, started maternity or disability leave. After formally requesting a reclassification to inactive status, your name is presented to the Membership Advisory Committee and the Board of Trustees for approval. Note: Inactive members forfeit their voting and membership application endorsement privileges and are ineligible to hold office or serve on Academy committees.
Members who are not practicing due to maternity/paternity leave may submit a dues reduction request for the current membership year. Eligible members will retain their active membership status with continued access to all benefits, and have their dues prorated to pay for nine months of membership.
Continuation of Training
Members who are continuing in a training program (residency or fellowship) can request to change their membership category from practicing to in training by completing the continuation of training form.
For questions about membership changes, contact Member Services.