Congressional Advocacy Day: Making Politics Personal in Washington, D.C.
Hundreds of the Academy’s community of U.S. ophthalmologists brought our profession's issues directly to Washington, D.C.’s, lawmakers, during our annual Congressional Advocacy Day.
This year, we engaged Congress in person on behalf of millions of patients across the United States who require medical and surgical eye care. During a record number of meetings with their respective members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, ophthalmologists asked federal lawmakers to ensure patients' access to quality care by addressing the several key issues:
- Rising pharmaceutical drug prices;
- Increased funding for National Institute of Health and National Eye Institute;
- More federal dollars for the Department of Defense’s vision research program;
- Timely access to compounded and repackaged drugs; and
- Relief for physicians from onerous Medicare quality reporting requirements.