Opportunities for Students
Students in the Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring program enjoy many avenues to explore ophthalmology and become competitive ophthalmology residency applicants. Students selected for participation are given the opportunity to:
- Connect with enthusiastic ophthalmologist mentors who support students’ academic and career development
- Explore the field of ophthalmology and gain hands-on experience with ophthalmic technology
- Learn how ophthalmologists positively impact community health by preventing vision loss from diseases such as diabetes and glaucoma
- Discover why ophthalmologists enjoy rewarding work and report high career satisfaction
- See how ophthalmologists are passionate about protecting sight and empowering lives
Students selected for participation in the Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring program are responsible for:
- Attending the virtual Student Engagement Program in November 2020
- Communicating with their mentors by phone, video chat, email or in person at least 3 to 4 times each year, more frequently when needed
- Keeping their mentors updated on important issues, concerns, decisions, etc.
- Responding to all program surveys and requests for information in a timely manner
Student Engagement Program
The Class of 2020 will attend a virtual Student Engagement Program over three weekends in November, held around the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
The program provides registration for AAO 2020 Virtual, the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and all program materials free of charge.
Who Should Apply
Underrepresented in medicine (URiM) students include those who identify as Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, and/or Native American (American Indian/Alaska Native/Native Hawaiian).
We are seeking students who will be in their first or second year of medical school during the 2020 - 2021 academic year; or pre-medical students planning to enter medical school in 2021 (for example, college seniors, post-baccalaureate students or students taking a gap year for research).
Dates and Deadlines
- July 15, 2020: Class of 2020 application closed
- July 31, 2020: Student acceptance notifications sent
- October 2020: Student orientation
- November 2020: Student Engagement Program (AAO 2020 Virtual)
If you have questions or would like additional information, please contact email@example.com.