Introducing the Truhlsen-Marmor Museum of the Eye
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is excited to build the new Museum of the Eye at our headquarters in San Francisco.
Until now, our 38,000-piece collection has been accessible only by appointment or online. Starting in 2020, an estimated 30,000 visitors a year will be able to enjoy—for free—rotating exhibits and events in our popular Fisherman's Wharf location.
Through school tours, innovative exhibits and free resource materials, the museum will promote eye health on a broad scale.
We look forward to welcoming you in 2020!
Visitors of all ages will enjoy the interactive displays and:
- Learn how virtual-reality is changing ophthalmology
- Dive deeper into the historical collection
- See the evolution of eye care through the ages
- Learn about the latest innovations saving sight today
- Develop an interest in the study of medicine and ophthalmology
"The new Museum of the Eye will be a magnet for medical students, artists, historians and everyday tourists, looking to learn more about the history of vision."
-Joe D'Alessandro, president and CEO, SF Travel, San Francisco
Few subjects are relevant to everyone. Vision is one of them. We are building a permanent home to explore it.
Donate to the Campaign