Introducing the new Museum of Vision
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is excited to announce that we're building a new Museum of Vision at our headquarters in San Francisco.
Until now, our 38,000-piece collection has been accessible only by appointment or online. Starting in late 2019, an estimated 30,000 visitors a year will be able to enjoy - for free - rotating exhibits and events in our popular Fisherman's Wharf location.
Through school tours, innovative exhibits and free resource materials, the museum will promote eye health on a broad scale.
Visitors of all ages will enjoy the interactive displays and:
- Take virtual-reality walking tours through our anatomy
- Dive deeper into the historical collection
- See the evolution of eye care through the ages
- Learn about the latest innovations saving sight today
- Develop an interest in the study of medicine and ophthalmology
"The new Museum of Vision will be a magnet for medical students, artists, historians and everyday tourists, looking to learn more about the history of vision."
-JOE D'ALESSANDRO, PRESIDENT AND CEO, SF TRAVEL, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF.
Few subjects are relevant to everyone. Vision is one of them. Now we have a chance to build a permanent home to explore it.
Watch the Museum of Vision campaign video: