Modern design, expanded subspecialty content and state-of-the-art search enable physicians to quickly access valuable educational content
The American Academy of Ophthalmology today unveiled a new, state-of-the-art, mobile-optimized website, designed to better serve the educational needs of its member physicians, their office staff and the general public. The new AAO.org makes it easier for the ophthalmology community to access the latest medical guidance to assist them in ensuring that their patients receive the highest quality eye care.
Based on extensive usability testing and interviews with member physicians, the new Academy website addresses the individual needs of each user of the site. This is achieved by providing a personalized user experience, including a streamlined login process and a tool for simpler management of Academy membership, easier tracking of conference registrations and abstracts, and managing continuing medical education activities. The site’s architecture and personalized tools enable individual practitioners to manage access to the content that is most relevant to them.
Among its central features is a responsive design that optimizes its display on mobile devices. This allows for physicians and their staff to have complete anytime, anywhere access to the Academy’s vast wealth of ophthalmic learning tools and resources. The Academy’s mobile-optimized site is strategically aligned with the latest Google search algorithm, which assigns higher priority to mobile-optimized sites.
The new AAO.org features hundreds of pages of new and updated content, along with more than 50 new tools and applications. Among them are:
- New subspecialty landing pages, which tailor the site experience for the various subspecialists within ophthalmology to news, education and resources that are most relevant to their area of clinical focus.
- Easier access to online clinical education content powered by the Academy’s Ophthalmic News & Education Network®, which serves more than 80,000 eye physicians and surgeons around the world.
- Access to the IRIS™ Registry, the Academy’s comprehensive database of eye diseases and conditions.
- A significantly expanded practice management portal which provides a vast array of education and services for administrative staff within ophthalmic practices.
- A vast network of services for Academy members, in addition to eye health information and services for the public.
- State-of-the-art site search that enables easy access to the more than 1,500 pages of educational content and resources.
- Enhanced user engagement capabilities that include the re-launch of Academy Forum, the organization’s private discussion board for its members to talk about clinical topics with their peers and get advice on challenging cases and other areas of mutual interest.
- Expanded governmental affairs and health policy section, which provides Academy members with important news and updates on health care policy and regulations that affect the medical community.
“This new website represents the latest effort by the Academy to continue to innovate how it provides value to its members, the broader community of ophthalmology and the public,” said Renaldo Juanso, vice president of communications and marketing for the American Academy of Ophthalmology. “The 5 million annual visitors to the site will benefit from expanded content, intuitive navigation, enhanced search, personalized content and a superior experience using the device of their choice. The result is a simple and streamlined approach that enables ophthalmologists to easily access the resources they need to help them provide the highest quality eye care for their patients.”
The new AAO.org was created by an internal team within the Academy from across communications and marketing, information technology, clinical education and membership in partnership with Enforme Interactive.
About the American Academy of Ophthalmology
The American Academy of Ophthalmology, headquartered in San Francisco, is the world's largest association of eye physicians and surgeons, serving more than 32,000 members worldwide. The Academy's mission is to advance the lifelong learning and professional interests of ophthalmologists to ensure that the public can obtain the best possible eye care. For more information, visit www.aao.org.
The Academy is also a leading provider of eye care information to the public. The Academy's EyeSmart® program educates the public about the importance of eye health and empowers them to preserve healthy vision. EyeSmart provides the most trusted and medically accurate information about eye diseases, conditions and injuries. OjosSanos™ is the Spanish-language version of the program. Visit www.geteyesmart.org or www.ojossanos.org to learn more.