APR 23, 2020
Minimize Exposure with Physical Modifications to Your Office
Implementing a few changes within your clinic can reduce exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19 and provide comfort to patients, staff and physicians. Here are a few considerations:
Waiting Rooms and Lobby
- Reduce the number of chairs and maintain a separate distance of 6 feet
- Eliminate high-risk surfaces such as:
- Coffee and water stations
- Play areas for children
Protective Screens provided for:
- Use furniture that can be easily sanitized.
- Consider eliminating benches due to difficulties with maintaining social distancing.
- Reduce the number of conference room chairs and space them appropriately.
- Place floor markers throughout clinic for appropriate spacing (e.g., check-in)
- Clean restrooms frequently
- Ensure there is proper ventilation and install air purifiers
- Post the following signs from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Post the following practice signs and instructions:
- Patients experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms should notify staff or physicians immediately.
- Proper hand-washing hygiene. (Instructions should be posted in bathrooms, exam lanes and the waiting room.)
- Vendors and delivery personnel requirements when entering your facility
- Staff reminders
- Space workstations at least 6 feet apart
- Eliminate shared workstations and phones
Complete a weekly walk-through of the entire facility and identify any new physical modifications necessary. Invite staff and physicians to provide feedback for any facilities improvements.