FEB 01, 2018
Academy Announces New Retina-Specific OCS Exam
Effective April 2, Academy to Administer the Ophthalmic Coding Specialist Examination, Offer New Retina-Specific Version
In response to the unique challenges in coding for retina practices, in April 2018 the American Academy of Ophthalmology will launch a 100-question multiple choice coding competency exam expressly for the subspecialty of retina. The Ophthalmic Coding Specialist Retina exam is the first and only one of its kind, and provides a unique testing and credentialing opportunity for retina physicians and staff.
Starting April 2, the Academy will sell and administer both the original Ophthalmic Coding Specialist exam and the new OCSR exam, helping physicians and their staff attain national professional recognition, improve career qualifications and enhance the financial health of their practices.
All who pass the exam(s) earn a three-year certificate and the privilege of including "OCS" and/or "OCSR" credentials after their name.
The International Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology has partnered with the Academy to deliver the OCS exam for more than a decade and continues to be a leader in certification and education opportunities for ophthalmic allied health personnel. As our organizations enter this new chapter, we look forward to continuing to promote comprehensive eye health education.
- Current exam:
- Feb. 14 is the last day to purchase the exam from IJCAHPO.
- All exams must be completed by Feb. 28. After that IJCAHPO will no longer deliver the OCS examination.
- Transition period:
- Exams will not be offered in March 2018 as IJCAHPO's registrant information is transferred into the Academy's exam system.
- Those who are scheduled to renew during the month of March will be given an extension to take the exam during April.
- New exam:
- Both the OCS and OCSR exams will be available at aao.org/store beginning April 2.
- IJCAHPO will no longer offer CE credits for successful completion of the exams.
Questions? Email email@example.com or visit aao.org/ocs.