APR 24, 2018
How to Code IOL Removal, New Implant
Question: Our surgeon removed a dislocated IOL that another surgeon implanted. Then he implanted a new lens. He suggested we bill:
- 65265 -RT Foreign body removal, nonmagnetic;
- 67036 -RT Pars plana vitrectomy; and
- 66985 -RT Secondary IOL implant.
Is this submission correct?
Answer: Since your surgeon removed a dislocated IOL and implanted a new one, this is an IOL exchange. Payers may or may not cover the pars plana vitrectomy, based on the diagnosis. Often payers want a vitreous diagnosis associated with the PPV for these cases. Submit:
- 66986 -RT Exchange of intraocular lens; and
- 67036 -RT Pars plana vitrectomy.
No CCI bundle applies.
Learn more about IOL billing in Ophthalmic Coding: Learn to Code Cataract and Anterior Segment and 1-Hour Coding Course: Complete Guide to Documenting and Coding Cataract Surgery.