AAO 2018 in Chicago is the place where ophthalmology residents and new-to-practice doctors can learn about the latest innovations and connect with colleagues. It’s also a great place to get expert advice on the business, legal and coding issues that will define your future.
Here are three ways to get the career-boosting advice you need from the experts at the American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives (AAOE).
1. Just-for-YOs Instruction Courses
AAO 2018 offers more than 100 coding and business courses designed to help ophthalmologists hone their practice management skills. The AAOE program also includes two specific courses with YOs in mind to help you build skills your training didn’t cover:
- Code-a-Palooza (Course # 271 Sunday, Oct. 28, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Room S106A): Join your colleagues in a live coding challenge. Two teams will compete with each other and the audience through an automated response system. You’ll learn how to identify the correct modifiers in exams and tests and put the fundamentals of coding principles into practice.
- Managing Practice Finances (Course # 634 Tuesday, Oct. 30, 10:15 to 11:15 a.m. Room S103BC): You’ll learn how to instruct your accountant to give you a monthly one-page report that makes sense. In just a few seconds each month, you’ll be able to read the financial pulse of your practice and track your performance.
For an entire list of AAOE sessions, search the online program by “AAOE Instruction Course.” All you need is an Academy Plus course pass to get unlimited access.
2. Practice Management Master Classes and Half-Day Coding Sessions
For a more intensive guide to the latest tools and solutions to running a practice, you can also take one of AAOE’s in-depth master classes and coding sessions on Friday, Oct. 26 and Saturday, Oct. 27. Note: These courses are not included in the Academy Plus course pass and require a separate ticket.
Here’s a sampling:
- NEW (Re)Focus on Remarkable Patient Care Experiences (Course #SPE02; Friday, Oct. 26, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Room 106A): Improving the ways your practice interacts with patients can have a dramatically positive impact on referrals, staff morale and ultimately your bottom line. This master class will provide you with the tools needed to refocus staff and procedures around your practice’s most valuable asset: patients.
- NEW The Profitable Practice: Six Proven Turnaround Strategies (Course #SPE10 Saturday, Oct. 27 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Room S105d): Running a practice in today’s rapidly shifting healthcare environment has never been more challenging. During this hands-on master class, you’ll learn six simple and effective improvement strategies to reduce wait times, streamline clinic flow and increase both patient and employee satisfaction.
- Coding Camp (Saturday, Oct. 27, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Room S105 a/bc): Accurate documentation and claim submission is the lifeblood of the practice. This session covers all aspects of ophthalmic coding, including answers to the most challenging coding scenarios and the top reasons claims are denied.
3. Additional Resources
While you’re checking out the AAO 2018 exhibition, be sure to take advantage of a free, 20-minute consultation at the Academy Resource Center (Level 1, Booth 508). “Conversations with the Experts” features consultants from the AAOE Consultant Directory ready to give you customized advice on topics ranging from electronic health records to billing issues. Resource Center hours are Saturday, Oct. 27, through Monday, Oct. 29, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Tuesday, Oct. 30, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
When you stop by the YO Lounge (Grand Concourse, Level 3) for a break from your busy meeting schedule, be sure to check out the Power Hour event “Meet with Practice Management Experts” (Monday, Oct. 29, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.). You’ll get tips and guidance on the most crucial business topics from people in the know.
The lounge is open throughout the meeting — show your “YO” ribbon to enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi and gain access to several Power Hours sponsored by the YO Committee which offer free networking with experts.
Set Your Future on the Right Track
Maintaining a practice is complex, but we’ve made it workable. Wherever your Annual Meeting takes you, be sure to keep these resources in mind and discover how AAO 2018 can help you master the world of practice management!