Mapping out an Academy annual meeting experience can be a headache. If you’ve left it until the last minute, here’s a quick YO-specific guide for getting the most out of your time in Chicago.
First, download the AAO 2018 YO Brochure, which features educational and social events that the Academy’s YO Committee has planned just for young ophthalmologists.
Mobile Meeting Guide
Download the Mobile Meeting Guide. Search for YO programs and events while you’re on the way to Chicago and set up alerts in your personal planner for events we’ve listed below to remind you when they’re starting.
Don’t Miss the Program Built Just for YOs
The Academy’s annual YO Program (Sunday, Oct. 28; Room S406b) is a program like no other. It’s the premier YO event for all residents and physicians in their first five years of practice.
- Part 1: Transition from Training (10 a.m. to noon) Gain insight from experts on how to transition from training to practice, including getting the job you want and continuing to grow your clinical and surgical knowledge.
- Part 2: Shaping Your Ophthalmic Career (noon to 2 p.m.) Learn everything you need to launch your career, including growing your practice, coding, professional relationships and more.
Learn Something New at the 6 YO Lounge Power Hours
One of your first stops at AAO 2018 should be the YO Lounge (Grand Concourse, Level 3). It provides a casual space for young ophthalmologists to take a break and also offers six “Power Hour” events where you can receive expert consultations. This includes a new event focused on physician wellness—a current issue important to all physicians and one on which the Academy is focusing.
Saturday, Oct. 27
- 1. Meet with an International Expert (11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.) Network and gain pearls from experts well-versed in international work.
- 2. Ophthalmology Around the Globe – A YO’s Perspective (4-5 p.m.) International YOs are invited to network with global YO society leaders to discuss the opportunities and challenges specific to their own region.
Sunday, Oct. 28
- 3. Physical Wellness: Movement, Yoga and Mindfulness at Work (8-9 a.m.) Start your morning by joining mindfulness expert Camille Palma, MD, in several five-minute yoga exercises (business attire!).
- 4. YO ARVO! Navigating a Career as a Clinician Scientist (4-5 p.m.) Gain tips on pursuing a career path as a clinician scientist and how to secure research grants.
Monday, Oct. 29
- 5. Meet with Practice Management Experts (11 a.m.-12 p.m.) Learn the latest about finance and risk management, how to deal with ethical and professional challenges, and practical tips to consider if your practice is considering private equity.
- 6. Why and How to Start Advocating for Your Patients and Your Profession (4-5 p.m.) Network with the Academy’s advocacy experts alongside young ophthalmologists who have taken part in the Advocacy Ambassador Program.
Take Advantage of the Many YO-Centric Sessions
AAO 2018 also offers a range of individual courses designed just for young ophthalmologists—from clinical practice to building a practice.
- YO Learning Lounge Event—How I Started and Grew My Practice: Solo and Multi-Specialty Ophthalmology (Saturday, Oct. 27; 4-5 p.m.) Discover how to get your practice started as participants discuss different practice types.
- Introduction to Cornea and Lens-Based Refractive Surgery for Residents (Sunday, Oct. 28; 8-10 a.m.) Learn tips and best practices in cornea and lens-based refractive surgery from leaders in the field.
- YO Symposium: The Future of Ophthalmology Practice for YOs (Sunday, Oct. 28; 3:45-5:15 p.m.) Find out how today’s changing business landscape is affecting YOs entering the workforce.
- Welcome to the Real World of Ophthalmology: Reality 101 for Residents and Fellows (Monday, Oct. 29; 12:45-1:45 p.m.) Learn about the non-medical aspects of practicing ophthalmology and get your questions answered in this interactive forum.
Kick Back with Colleagues
During the hustle and bustle of courses, events and networking sessions, don’t forget to take a breath and relax.
- Come meet other YOs from around the world during the Global YO Reception (Sunday, Oct. 28; 9 p.m. to midnight). The most entertaining event at the meeting is always packed to capacity, so pick up your tickets early in the YO Lounge before they’re gone.
- Ask a colleague to lunch. The McCormick Place convention center offers many options, including P.U.R.E: Pop Up Restaurant Experience located in the exhibit hall (South Hall A).
- Visit EyePlay Experience (Booth 2581) for an opportunity to recharge your mobile device, drink a beer, relax with friends while taking in a game, enjoy a complimentary massage, take a selfie and even play with therapy pets!
- Step up to the AAO 2018 Walking Challenge. Track your steps and participate in some friendly competition amongst peers as you work your way up the leaderboard. If you reach 15,000 steps each day, you’ll qualify for a daily prize raffle. You might even win a free hotel stay at AAO 2019!