The Academy offers educational programs, practice management resources and professional development catered to each level of training: from residency and fellowship, to early practice and academia. This to-do list will help you along the way.
Join the Academy Today
All physicians engaged in a full-time ophthalmology residency or fellowship training program in the United States or Canada are eligible for complimentary Academy membership for the duration of their training. Additionally, they are eligible to receive a complimentary American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives® (AAOE®) membership that provides resources for managing the business side of an ophthalmic practice (a $299 value). Apply as a member in training at aao.org/member.
For the complete list of Academy and AAOE benefits, go to aao.org/benefits.
Enhance Your Clinical Education
- Learn from the #1 peer-reviewed journal in the specialty with your free subscription to the Ophthalmology® journal — aaojournal.org.
- Get the latest industry news and clinical roundups with free access to EyeNet® Magazine — aao.org/eyenet.
- Get alerts for new clinical updates with the free AAO Ophthalmic Education App — aao.org/education-app.
- Test your clinical knowledge — aao.org/self-assessments.
- View surgical videos and images demonstrating basic skills — aao.org/browse-multimedia.
- Read the Preferred Practice Pattern Guidelines — aao.org/ppp.
- Stock up on the latest clinical education, patient education and practice management materials at the Academy Store — aao.org/store.
Be an Advocate
Meet Up at AAO 2020: Vision
- Get ready for AAO 2020, the Academy’s annual meeting in Las Vegas (Nov. 14-16) and Subspecialty Day (Nov. 13-14).
- Register on June 17 — aao.org/registration.
- Get the Mobile Meeting Guide — download it starting mid-September at aao.org/mobile.
- Learn about special programming just for YOs in Las Vegas — aao.org/yo.
- Attend Sunday’s Young Ophthalmologist Program and Monday’s “Welcome to the Real World of Ophthalmology: Reality 101 for Residents and Fellows.”
- Visit the YO Lounge and attend the daily networking events.
Stay Connected with the Academy
Be sure to bookmark the YO and Residents landing pages — aao.org/yo and aao.org/residents.
Follow the Academy on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — facebook.com/americanacademyofophthalmology, twitter.com/aao_ophth and instagram.com/aaoeye.
Volunteer for the Academy — aao.org/young-ophthalmologists/grow-in-leadership or aao.org/member-services/volunteer.
Receive advocacy updates on your mobile device by texting EYEYO to 51555.