Looking to master new diagnostic and surgical techniques? Skills Transfer lectures and labs are intensive training sessions focusing on cutting edge skills. Labs provide hands-on instruction, featuring a low participant-to-instructor ratio.
Many 2012 participants reported that the Skills Transfer courses they attended were extremely valuable. A sample of the comments provided on the 2012 Skills Transfer course and lab evaluations:
"[My instructor] was outstanding. Very helpful with my specific goals... Frankly, my two hours with her were by far the most meaningful of all my courses in Chicago."
"I attended the same course two years ago – it was worth it to come back again to find out what's new."
"Outstanding skills lab that helped me to understand the anatomy and improved my surgical skills in my clinical practice."
"[My instructor] was very approachable and helpful in sharing his clinical experience with me."
"Excellent personalized attention."
Look for These Lab Courses in 2013
Macular OCT: Mastering the Basics
Gain hands-on experience reviewing and evaluating OCT's covering a wide range of common macular diseases and topics such as AMD, vascular occlusions, epiretinal membrane, vitreomacular traction and postoperative cystoid macular edema.
Phacoemulsification and Advanced Techniques
The most topical techniques will be taught, including wound construction, phaco chop techniques, capsular staining, capsular tension rings, wound construction and techniques for operating on mature cataracts.
Endothelial Keratoplasty Surgery
Participants will actually perform all steps of Descemet-stripping EK and Descemet membrane EK (DMEK), including donor tissue preparation and endothelial tissue insertion techniques.
There are also several lab courses specifically developed for Residents such as:
- Laser Refractive Surgery
- Glaucoma Filtration Surgery
- Phacoemulsification and Advanced Techniques Lab for Ophthalmology Residents
Full session listings are available through the online Program Search. Login to view full pricing information.
- Skills Transfer labs are ticketed events — they are not included in the Academy Plus course pass and must be purchased separately.
- If you are registering for a Skills Transfer lab and a prerequisite lecture (LEC) is indicated, you must attend both courses.
- The fee to attend the lecture is included with the cost of the lab.
- Skills Transfer lectures are included in the Academy Plus course pass. By purchasing Academy Plus you may attend the lecture without purchasing the lab.
- Skills Transfer lab fees increase onsite.
- Members in Training automatically receive a 50% discount on all Skills Transfer labs, except where noted. For labs available to Residents only, the Member in Training discount has already been applied.
- Attendance is limited to physicians only, except where noted in the course description. (The term physician refers to the definition in the Federal Register: "those individuals licensed to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathy.")
Note: Skills Transfer courses are intended to provide instruction leading to new knowledge and/or skills. The Academy does not certify competence upon completion of Academy courses. Academy courses are not intended to serve as a basis for requesting new or expanded privileges.