Ophthalmology’s must-attend meeting is just around the corner, and the Academy is thrilled to see a live and in-person audience gather in Chicago.
This year’s festivities are once-again jam-packed with courses and events designed with young ophthalmologists in mind. From practice tips to surgical skills to wellness pearls, AAO 2022 will give you everything you need to succeed in all aspects of your young career.
See the complete schedule of Events Just for YOs (PDF).
Welcome to the Windy City and enjoy the YO show!
3-Part YO Program
Note: Schedule is on Central Time
The Academy’s annual YO Program (Sunday, Oct. 2, 9:45 a.m.-12:45p.m. and 2 p.m.-3:15 p.m., Room S406B, McCormick Place) is a program like no other. It’s an essential, live three-part course and the pinnacle event for all residents, fellowship trainees and physicians in their first five years of practice.
Part 1: Launching Your Career (9:45 to 11 a.m.). YOs face numerous challenges upon graduating from residency, and we’re here to help address all of the questions you’ll have when starting your careers. Talks include:
- Choose Your Adventure: Tips on Picking the Right Job
- Getting to YES! Contract Negotiation Tips for the Young Ophthalmologist
- Hitting Your Stride in Surgery: Learning New Techniques and Dealing With Complications
Part 2: Wellness Throughout Your Training and Career (11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.). Join the conversation on balancing parenthood, maintaining financial viability and protecting your patients and yourself. Talks include:
- Work/Life Integration at Every Stage of YO Career
- Steps to Achieving Financial Wellness: Tips From Academics to Private Practice
- From Illness to Wellness: When Doctors Need Doctors
And don’t miss out on seeing the winning videos from this year’s YO/ONE® Network Surgical Video Competition!
Part 3: Future of the Profession (2 to 3:15 p.m.). Your future will be bright and challenging. Get inspired and learn the importance of advocacy at all levels, how diversity is key to your future and the ways tech innovation will change how you practice medicine. Talks include:
- Protecting the Profession: Advocating for Your Patients and Colleagues
- Our Future Depends on It: Diversifying Our Workforce and Addressing Healthcare Disparities
- The Future Practice of Ophthalmology: Integration of AI and Technology in Patient Care
Also be sure to meet Frank Brodie, MD — the 2022 Artemis Award winner — selected in recognition of the tremendous work he’s done to advocate and enhance care for pediatric patients with craniofacial abnormalities.
Even More YO Events
You can also use AAO 2022 to learn about real-world aspects of practicing medicine, such as getting paid, choosing the right type of practice setting, working internationally, and staying passionate about your profession. YO-specific content includes:
- Welcome to the Real World of Ophthalmology: Reality 101 for Residents and Fellows (Saturday, Oct. 1, 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.). Join an interactive YO panel discussion around practice management pearls and how active participation in organized medicine can be a unique benefit for your career.
- Flipping the Lens: The Host Experience (LL19) (Sunday, Oct. 2, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.). Head over to the Learning Lounge (Hall A, Booth 150) and listen to experts from India and Africa discuss Global Ophthalmology.
- Q&A With Practice Management Experts - Answers to Questions You Didn’t Even Know You Should Ask (Monday, Oct. 3, 10 to 11 a.m.). This Learning Lounge session will cover all the tips you need to know about starting a practice.
- Keeping the Passion Alive! Not Just a “Day Job” (Monday, Oct. 3, 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 a.m.). Staying passionate about work throughout one’s career is incredibly important for optimizing both patient care and self-care. This symposium will serve to teach YOs how they can keep their professional skills fresh and use their skills to play their part in helping advance ophthalmology for all ophthalmologists, regardless of their practice environment.
Celebrate With YO Colleagues in Chicago
Join your fellow YOs from around the globe on Sun. Oct 2 from 9 p.m. to midnight at Sound Bar (226 W. Ontario St.) during the Global YO Reception. The free event for all YO members will be an evening of celebration, dancing and networking. (Your meeting badge with the YO ribbon required for admission).
AAO 2022 Virtual
If you’re unable to attend the annual meeting in person, the Academy has your back with AAO 2022 Virtual. Registration includes:
- Annual meeting sessions — highlights streamed live from Chicago and available later to view online - including the three part YO Program and YO Symposium!
- On-demand-only content developed specifically for the online platform
- Videos and posters
- Virtual expo
- Virtual industry showcases
- CME credits available
However you do AAO 2022, make sure to check aao.org/programsearch for the most up-to-date course information and use the filter option to view AAO 2022 events endorsed specifically by the Young Ophthalmologist Committee. To see them, find the Filter button, then click on Endorsements and Other Credits.