2021 Exam Dates: March 18-21
The Ophthalmic Knowledge Assessment Program (OKAP) is a 260-item multiple choice examination administered to ophthalmology residents in each year of training throughout the United States and Canada. It is designed to measure the ophthalmic knowledge of residents, relative to their peers, in order to facilitate the ongoing assessment of resident progress and program effectiveness. Test scores are the property of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and may be used to improve ophthalmic education.
Programs outside of the United States and Canada interested in taking the exam, learn about OKAP International.
Registration and Scheduling Instructions
Step 1: Programs: Register Residents
The Academy will open registration in mid-November for programs to register their residents for the exam (programs will be sent an email with instructions prior). Programs will be able to select their residents for the exam, verify program and resident information, create an invoice, and pay for the exam. The exam fee is $410 per resident. Registration information will be submitted and your program will receive an email with your registration summary.
If a resident requires an accommodation for extended exam time or an alternate exam date, programs must complete an Accommodation Request Form prior to registering.
Step 2: Residents: Schedule Exam Appointments
It is the responsibility of each resident to schedule an exam appointment. Residents will receive an email with instructions from ExamRoom.AI within 24 hours of registration notifying them to schedule their exam appointment. Residents must schedule exam appointments by December 31 to ensure their preferred exam date and time (the longer residents wait to make their exam appointment, the fewer choices they may have). Residents should forward their appointment confirmation email to their program coordinator for verification that registration is complete.
Residents can refer to the Scheduling your OKAP Exam guide if they need assistance scheduling their exam appointment.
Exam Requirements and Exam Day Information
Residents will receive an appointment confirmation email after they have scheduled their exam which will contain important information that must be reviewed and completed prior to testing to ensure the resident's system is set up properly and that they are prepared for exam day.
Residents must review the OKAP Pre-Exam Day Requirements and Tips document and the OKAP Exam Day Guide prior to testing. A summary of the requirements and exam format is listed below:
Residents will need:
- A Computer (laptop, desktop, or Chromebook) with one screen, front-facing camera, microphone, power cord, 4GB or higher RAM, up-to-date Operating System (Windows 7, Mac 10.10, Ubuntu 16, Chrome 62.0.4241.112 or higher), a minimum of 3Mbps upload/download speed, and a stable internet connection. ExamRoom.AI will access your camera and microphone for the entirety of your exam appointment.
- Google Chrome or Firefox. The exam will only work in these browsers.
- To Allow Permission for Screen Recording if using a Mac computer. You may need to Disable Firewall if using a Windows computer.
- A System Check to ensure your computer and location are setup appropriately.
- One non-expired government issued ID that matches the first and last name in your appointment confirmation.
- Two logins:
- ExamRoom.AI login to log in to the exam system (username is your email on file with the Academy and your password is your AAO Member ID).
- Academy login to access the exam (username is your email on file with the Academy and if you don’t know your password go to Forgot Password and reset it).
- A quiet testing location with no distractions, materials, electronic devices, or others present. You are not allowed to have any materials (books, notes) during your exam and all electronic devices (smart watches, tablets, cellphones) must be turned off and stored out of sight. Failure to comply will result in immediate termination of your exam.
- One sheet of clean scratch paper (optional). Once your exam is complete, you are required to notify the proctor and tear-up your scratch paper in front of the camera.
Exam Format/Time Allotment/Break Policy:
The OKAP exam consists of 260 multiple choice questions equally randomized across the thirteen BCSC sections/ophthalmic practice areas.
- You will be able to enlarge images (by clicking on them), skip items, mark items for review, and be presented with a summary (at any time during the exam) of all items displaying which items are marked or unanswered before officially submitting the exam.
- The submit exam button will only appear after all 260 questions have been answered or after reaching the exam time limit.
The OKAP exam time is 4 hours and 40 minutes (you will have 4 hours and 30 minutes to complete the exam, plus 10 minutes for a break).
- Immediately after 2 hours and 15 minutes have elapsed or answering 130 items, you will be allowed a 10-minute optional break.
- During the break you are not allowed to communicate with anyone, use any electronic device, or access any reference materials.
For comprehensive information about the OKAP exam and program, refer to the OKAP User's Guide.
If you have any questions, please call the Academy directly at 415-561-8540, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT or send your inquiry to OKAP@aao.org.
OKAP 2021 Exam Timeline for Program Directors and Coordinators
July-August: Programs Update Resident Information
Review “Resident Verification and Registration Login” Academy email
- Ensure all Resident information is correct
- Make sure all Residents (especially incoming 1st year Residents) sign up for membership if they are not Members: www.aao.org/member-services “Join”
- Verify your login credentials
Mid-November: Registration Opens
Review “OKAP Registration is Now Open” Academy email
Step 1: Programs: Register Residents
- Choose your residents using their Academy Member IDs
- Select any Accommodations needed (download and complete the Accommodation Request Form and email to Academy before registering)
- Print the Invoice and pay for the exam
- After registration notify residents that they should receive an email from ExamRoom.AI within 24 hours and that they need to schedule their exam appointments
Mid-November-December 31: Residents Schedule Exam Appointments
Step 2: Residents: Schedule Exam Appointments
- Residents will receive an email with instructions from ExamRoom.AI (email@example.com) within 24 hours of registration notifying them to schedule their exam appointment. Residents must schedule exam appointments by December 31 to ensure their preferred exam date and time (the longer residents wait to make their exam appointment, the fewer choices they may have).
- Have residents forward their appointment confirmation email to you so you can verify that all residents have scheduled.
- Cancellations/refunds: a $25 fee will be withheld for cancellations made between 30 and 5 days prior to the exam date. No refund will be given for no-shows and for cancellations made after 5 days before the exam. Residents can attempt to re-schedule their exam up until 5 days before the exam; however the ability to reschedule may be limited by availability.
March 18-21, 2021: Exam Dates
Review “OKAP Exam 6 weeks away – Registration and Payment Status” Academy email
- Last chance to confirm residency years
- Make sure residents re-read confirmation email to confirm testing date and time
- Ensure residents have reviewed the OKAP Pre-Exam Day Requirements and Tips document and the OKAP Exam Day Guide prior to testing to confirm their system is set up properly and that they are prepared for exam day
- Problems on Exam Day, contact: ExamRoom.AI at 877-848-EXAM (3926), firstname.lastname@example.org, or https://examroom.ai/ chat box. If you are still having issues, contact Kathryn Peters, OKAP Program Manager, at the Academy: 415-447-0201.
Late April: Score Reports Available
Review “OKAP Scores Available for Download” Academy email
- Download and Save all Reports
- Score report disputes can be addressed until 7 days after scores are available
- Next years’ exam date sent in June