2020 Exam Date: Saturday, March 21
The Ophthalmic Knowledge Assessment Program (OKAP) is a 260-item multiple choice test that is administered to ophthalmology residents in each year of training. It is designed to measure the ophthalmic knowledge of residents, relative to their peers, in order to facilitate the ongoing assessment of resident progress and program effectiveness. Test scores are the property of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and may be used to improve ophthalmic education.
The OKAP exam is a computer-based examination administered at Prometric test centers throughout the United States and Canada. Programs outside of the United States interested in taking the exam, learn about OKAP International.
Step 1: Register residents
The Academy will open an online registration portal for programs to register their residents for the exam in early October (programs will be sent an email with instructions prior). Programs will be able to select their residents for the exam, verify program and resident information, create an invoice, and pay for the exam. This information will be submitted to Prometric and your program will receive an email with your registration summary.
Step 2: 24 hours after registration, residents schedule/make exam appointments on the Prometric website
It is the responsibility of each resident to schedule an exam appointment with Prometric. There are two ways that residents can select the test center and time of their choice:
- On the Prometric website at www.prometric.com/aao
- By phone at 800-481-6473, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Residents will need their Academy Member ID number to make their exam appointment. Residents can contact Academy member services at (866) 561-8558 if they need to acquire their member number. Please advise your residents that the longer they wait to make their exam appointment, the fewer choices they may have. To guarantee their preferred time and location, the Academy recommends that all residents make their exam appointment by December 1.
Residents should forward their appointment confirmation email to their program coordinator for verification that registration is complete.
The cost is $395 per resident, plus any special accommodation fees requested. Examination fees need to come directly from the residency program.
Test scores will be withheld for non-payment.
If you have any questions, please call the Academy directly at 415-561-8540, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT or send your inquiry to OKAP@aao.org.
OKAP 2020 Exam Timeline for Program Directors and Coordinators
July-August: Programs update Program/Resident information
Review “Resident Verification and Registration Login” Academy email
- Ensure all Resident information is correct
- Make sure all Residents (especially incoming 1st year Residents) sign up for membership: www.aao.org/member-services “Join the Academy”
- Verify your login credentials
October: Registration Opens
Review “OKAP Registration is Now Open” Academy email
Step 1: Coordinators/Directors: Register residents in the online registration portal
- Choose your residents using their Academy Member IDs
- Select any Special Accommodations needed (download and complete the Special Accommodation Request Form and email to Academy before January)
- Print the Invoice and pay for the exam
- Notify Residents 24 hours after you have registered them to begin scheduling their exam appointments
October-December: Residents schedule with Prometric
Have Residents forward their appointment confirmation email to you so you can verify that all Residents have scheduled
Step 2: Residents: 24 hours after registration schedule their exam appointments with Prometric: www.prometric.com/aao
- Residents use their Eligibility ID/Academy Member ID to schedule exam
- Cancellations/refunds: a $25 fee will be withheld for cancellations made between 30 and 5 days prior to the exam date. No refund will be given for no-shows and for cancellations made after 5 days before the exam. Residents can attempt to re-schedule their exam up until 5 days before the exam; however the ability to reschedule may be limited by availability.
Review “OKAP Exam 6 weeks away – Registration and Payment Status” Academy email
Share “OKAP Exam Day Information” attachment with each resident
- Last chance to confirm Residency Years
- Make sure residents re-read confirmation email to confirm testing location and time
- Can’t find confirmation email? Go to: www.prometric.com/aao “Confirm my Test”
- Problems on Exam Day, call: Prometric (800) 481-6473 or Kathryn Peters (415) 447-0201
Early May: Score Reports available
Review “OKAP Scores Available for Download” Academy email
- Available 4-6 weeks after exam
- Download and Save all Reports
- Score report disputes can be addressed until 7 days after scores are available
- Next years’ exam date sent in June