- We only use information collected on the website for Academy purposes.
- We deploy technology to protect the information you send us.
- Cookies are used to keep track of information to allow a better user experience and this information is kept confidential within the Academy.
- We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our website.
The Academy Store and Annual Meeting Registration
The website incorporates forms for members and other customers to request information, products, and services and to register on-line for various programs, including the annual meeting. We collect visitors’ contact information (such as email addresses), financial information (such as accounts or credit card numbers), and demographic information (such as zip code, age, or income level). Unique identifiers (such as social security numbers) are collected to verify the user's identity. Contact information from order forms or surveys is used to send orders and information about the Academy to our members and other customers and to analyze website use. Financial information that is collected is used to check the users' qualifications and bill the user for products and services.
Third Party Websites
The Academy endeavors to protect your email address from inappropriate use. If the Academy determines the use of your email address is of benefit to its members and/or their patients, the Academy may, with the approval of its CEO/executive vice president, provide your email address to a third party. Users may opt-out of receiving future Academy emails by emailing that request to email@example.com.
Policies Governing the Use of Academy Email Addresses
The Academy’s CEO/executive vice president may grant permission to use Academy email addresses to organizations, firms or individuals who agree to comply with the following conditions:
- The Academy determines if the use of email addresses is of benefit to its members and/or their patients.
- The content of every email correspondence is subject to advance approval by the Academy. A sample of each intended email correspondence must be reviewed and approved by the Academy.
- Each set of Academy email addresses will be used only once and only for the purpose approved by the Academy.
- An entity other than the Academy cannot use Academy email addresses to create or update its own database. The email address list is the property of the Academy and may not be duplicated or retransmitted or resold to a third party.
- Use of Academy email addresses does not imply Academy endorsement, and no implication of endorsement will be made in any correspondence.
- Academy email addresses will not be made available for any communication on drugs, medical equipment or devices involving the offer of a rebate, discount, or other remuneration, which in the sole discretion of the Academy might be illegal or unethical.
- Academy email addresses will not be made available for any communication that, in the judgment of the Academy, would tend to mislead, misinform, or deceive.
The website has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control.
Contacting the website
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this website, you can contact:
American Academy of Ophthalmology
655 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109