Visit Us in Fisherman’s Wharf
The Truhlsen-Marmor Museum of the Eye® is located on the ground floor of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, situated in the easily accessible Fisherman’s Wharf neighborhood.
You can find us on the corner of Beach Street and Hyde Street, across from the cable car turnaround.
Summer Special Hours: August & September 2022
Wednesday: 11 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 11 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The museum is closed on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day annually.
The museum will be closed on Wednesday, October 5, 2022.
The museum will be closed from Sunday, January 1, 2023 through Friday, January 13, 2023.
The museum and its public events are free to the public.
Truhlsen-Marmor Museum of the Eye®
American Academy of Ophthalmology
645 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
We are operating in accordance with City of San Francisco COVID-19 public health recommendations.
COVID-19 Code of Conduct
We are a medical museum. Join us in protecting the health of our community. We ask that guests follow these enhanced safety precautions.
- Masks are not required, although you are welcome to wear one.
- If you’re not feeling 100% take care and please stay home.
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently during your visit. Sanitizer dispensers are in each gallery in the museum.
- No food or drink in the museum.
- Keep moving through the museum. Do not gather or linger in one area; transmission risk (including asymptomatic transmission) increases with prolonged exposure within an enclosed space.
- Any behavior or activity that disrupts the safe or orderly use of the museum, or that affects the staff’s ability to provide services, is prohibited.
- Treat each other and our staff with respect — no engaging in rude, inconsiderate or abusive behavior. Visitors not following the COVID-19 Code of Conduct will be asked to leave.
You can access us by public transit, cable car, car, bike and by foot.
511.org is a useful phone and web resource for current Bay Area traffic, transit, rideshare, and bicycling information, including planning a trip by public transit. From within the Bay Area, call 511, and from outside the Bay Area, call 888-500-INFO (888-500-4636).
Hyde Street Parking Garage is located directly next door to the museum at 655 Beach St, San Francisco, CA 94109. There are parking meters lining the surrounding streets. A pickup and drop off space is located outside our front door on Beach Street.
The Museum of the Eye® is committed to ensuring that our site and public events are accessible by all individuals.
Our entrance and galleries are ADA compliant.
Note we do not have a public restroom. Free public restrooms are available around the corner, two blocks west on Beach Street at the Maritime Museum.
Accessibility Options for Low Vision and Blindness:
We strive to ensure that the museum is accessible for those with visual impairments. Ask the front desk if you would like to make use of our low vision apps and magnifying glasses.