On Oct. 1, 2017, physician practices must adopt new ICD-10 codes — over 50 new codes for ophthalmologists alone. The updates change how you must code:
- Treatment of patients with myopic degeneration
- Category of vision loss, blindness and normal vision for vision rehabilitation codes.
The Academy helped you transition to ICD-10 successfully. We’ll lead you to equal success in adopting these updated diagnosis codes.
What You Need to Know
- Medicare: For all claims with dates of service on or after Oct. 1, 2017, you must use the updated ICD-10 codes. If you do not, CMS might reject all claims.
- Commercial payers: Some may take longer to update codes. This could result in claims denials and payment delays of a month or more.
- Merit-Based Incentive Payment System: The new ICD-10 codes do not affect MIPS reporting.