The Ophthalmic Coding Specialist exam is a 100-question, multi-choice assessment that covers all aspects of coding for ophthalmology.
- NEW: The Academy now offers the Ophthalmic Coding Specialist Retina exam, the first and only one of its kind designed specifically for those coding in retina practices.
- Participants who successfully pass each exam can use the applicable credential (OCS and/or OCR).
What the Exam Covers
|OCS Exam||OCS Retina Exam|
- Bundling and medically unlikely edits
- Cataract/anterior segment
- General Ccding competencies
- Optical dispensing
- Vision rehabilitation
- E/M and Eye visit code documentation
- Fundamentals of coding
- ICD-10 selection
- Injections and drugs
- Minor and major surgical procedures
- Testing services
How the OCS Exams Work
- Register for both exams in the Academy Store.
- You have 10 working days after starting the online exam to complete it.
- At least 80 of the 100 test questions (80 percent) must be answered correctly to pass the exam.
- You will be notified immediately of your final score.
- Those who pass will be able to download their certificate.
- Participants who do not receive a passing score are encouraged to re-take the exam.
- No continuing education credits are required. However, retesting is required every three years to assure coding accuracy. The Academy will notify you via email when it is time to retest.
Whether new, renewing or retakes, the fee is the same.
- $199 — Member: Ophthalmologists and their clinical staff.
- $349 — Nonmember: Consultants, industry representatives and those not working for a clinic.
- Save 10% when you buy four or more coding tools including OCS/OCSR exams, and Retina Coding: The Complete Reference Guide
- Save 10% when you order the exam plus three or more coding products.
- Save 10% when you order any combination of four or more exams and/or coding products.
Why Take the Exam
- Confirm your coding knowledge is up-to-date
- Enhance the financial health of your practice; turn clinical services into protected practice income and stay in compliance.
- Expand your knowledge and enhance your understanding by taking a test designed by Academy physicians and staff.
- Receive national professional recognition; be recognized for your expertise and proficiency. Those who pass the exam are encouraged to add the applicable credential (OCS and/or OCR) after their name.
- Improve your career qualifications; demonstrate mastery of retina coding and be more competitive in the job market.
Resources to Help You Prepare
Just like real life coding, the both exams are open book. The following resources will help you prepare:
Attend courses: AAOE’s Codequest coding courses and other sessions offered at the Academy’s and IJCAHPO’s annual meetings.
Consult Academy reference books:
Review 2018 CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS books
The following online 1-hour courses offer the flexibility to learn accurate coding and documentation at your own pace from the comfort of your home or office.
Take our interactive practice tests:
What you need to know about the OCSR exam from those who piloted the 100-question exam:
- Took anywhere from 3.5 to 8 hours to take the exam - generally done in smaller increments of time.
- Resources used: Complete Guide to Retina Coding (aao.org/store), aao.org/icd10, aao.org/coding, CCI edits, modifier knowledge.
- Don’t guess! Look up even what you thought you knew – you may be surprised.
Visit the Academy Store to take the official exams.